Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

If Sri Lanka last a bit longer he will get a bowl, but their collapse meant he was never likely to figure as the quicks were able to remain constantly in the game. His main use will be if one of the batsman gets settled and begins building a score, especially one of the left-handers at the top of their order.

Well Panesar has deserved it, and so far he has got two maiden overs with an economy of 2.

But that means nothing unless he gets the breakthrough here.

It went straight into his gloves, should have held it, but as I keep saying he is the worst keeper when it comes to spinners. The first two balls from Monty, one beat the bat and went for byes, the second was dropped (not an edge) but dropped nonetheless. He rarely gets near stumpings or edges off spinners. No doubt the chaps from earlier will continue to churn out that Jones is the "best keeper in England" :rolleyes:

Wahey Jones takes a catch of a spinner!!! Was a pretty easy take for a "Test match" wickie, but he still took it. Congrats to Monty, has bowled well, and could have had two so far. Has bowled well for his first appearance at Lords, especially since Murali didn't exactly get drastic turn, and he turns it on anything.

Well here's a nice trivia question (that I don't know the answer to). When was the last time the same batsmen were in at the start and the end of the day (assuming no rain breaks).

Didn't Gary KIrsten and Kallis do it?

barmyarmy said:
Almost did then?
Anyone with the game on TV see whether Jones should have left that for Tresco?

You implying Tres is a better keeper?

He might be vs the spinners.

Yep he did, although not a sign of his quality as they couldn't have been any more regulation as catches off a spinner, both arm balls so they didn't turn and basically went straight into his gloves. Still can't complain either, he took them and fair play to him :) Decent day for England, new ball to come 15 odd overs in tomorrow and some cloud cover expected. With Sanga gone, it's going to be all on the lower/middle order and jayawardene to make any kind of fight of it.

Well bowled Monty today. England should win. Sri Lanka are not going to give it too us easily

gary0808 said:
Well bowled Monty today. England should win. Sri Lanka are not going to give it too us easily

Yes indeed I felt he bowled very nicely today. Managed to extract a bit of turn out of a pitch not offering much, and also showed a bit more in terms of varied flight than in India. A sign he is growing in confidence as a bowler. Bowled only a few scoreable deliveries and bowls a lot more balls than Gilo that look threatening.

puddleduck said:
Yes indeed I felt he bowled very nicely today. Managed to extract a bit of turn out of a pitch not offering much, and also showed a bit more in terms of varied flight than in India. A sign he is growing in confidence as a bowler. Bowled only a few scoreable deliveries and bowls a lot more balls than Gilo that look threatening.

I agree but there is still one problem that won't go away. He is a extremely poor fielder and probably the worst batsman in English cricket. Until he makes progress with the bat and his fielding improves. I'm certain Fletcher and Vaughan will pick Giles over Panesar.

Well played today though

Users who are viewing this thread