Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Sri Lanka having a steady top order partnership. A long time ago that happened:

Sri Lanka 100/1 after 22 overs. Surprised by this.

At the moment the match is getting tense.

New Zealand need 47 runs in 42 balls

New Zealand could have made themselves a bit easier then this.

Last edited:
New Zealand have won the second ODI my 5 wickets.

In other news, Sanath Jayasuriya has dislocated his shoulder after (prepare for laughter) reaching for his shampoo and then slipping in the bath.

Oh man, that's a bad way to get injured. I think that last over from Vaas destroyed Sri Lanka's hopes. No balls destroyed Sri Lanka's chances. Two wickets of no-balls in the last 2 overs! And then a 6 and another boundary off a no-ball. New Zealand have good control over the series, now.

Poor fellow. Its funny I guess but very unfortonate.

Anyway just got home from the game. The rain was a shame but I was thrilled the whole game got played. Sri Lanka made an average score. It wasn't enough runs really. Its a 300 wicket and I think we would of chased down anything around that mark. Bond bowled superb and Vettori had a little bit of an off day, was a good pitch and the ball wasn't spinning. Even Murili got a little more stick then usual yet he was still fantastic. As soon as I saw Astle get a hit from the boundary for that run-out I told the erson next to me, you know it might just be Astles day. And it sure as hell was. The Sri Lankan opener Tharanga played a very good innings, man of the match performance in my books and it was backed up nicely by Atapattu. I just feel that Sri Lanka needed to get more runs on the board early and at the end.

Astle played the innings really wall for the most part. He was pretty solid and kept making the singles to keep us with the run rate required. He or Fulton didn't take risks as they wern't needed. Good partnership from both. I am thrilled for Astle, the crowd got behind him, it was really good to see. Hes back in some form. In the last few overs he batted he was out of no balls twice. I guess 1 makes up for the poor decision last match.

At the end the umpires were pretty good for staying on, the umpiring decision on Marshall wasn't a good one. Another out of form player who really didn't need that.

There were a lot of appeals against us, I don't know if any were definaty wrong, if they were all right it was a good effort.

Vincent started with a bang like usual. And Cairns finished it by smashing Murili onto the roof. Gotta love that Cairnsy. Was good to see him bring up 200 wickets as well and bowl pretty well at the death.

The Sri Lankan catching was fantastic. Can't say the same about the fielding. Far too many overthrows and misfields. Whilst it looked close, it really wasn't. We had overs to spare and two fantastic hitters in next (Oram and McCullum) who we didn;t even need. We were playing it pretty safe. We would of been a lot more aggressive if the score was larger.

Hopefully we set a target in Wellington, we are going to need to be able to do that too for the World Cup. Was a much better game then the last. So i enjoyed it aside from the rain.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the Marshall decision was that bad, unless it pitched outside leg (I don't remember). Some of the other appeals weren't even minutely close though--either pitching outside leg or not hitting the stumps at all.

And the game could have been pretty close if Vaas had got a good over in. Even though y'all had big hitters coming in next, a couple of dot balls would add pressure, and even an accomplished hitter finds it difficult to smash it from ball one.

We had it pretty well covered. McCullum can come out and hit runs from first ball. I was pretty confident myself the whole way through the game.

Marshall hit the ball first, I don't even know if it hit pad at all either. It was a shocker.

Vaas over was pretty bad which costs the match.

Jayasuriya has twice now dislocated his shoulder in short time. Pretty bad. I think he will still have problems with his shoulder afterwards. Once you have dislocated your shoulder it will still be fragile for a while.

Bathroom slip ends Jayasuriya's tour
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/nzvsl/content/story/231463.html

Funny how Jayasuriya was reaching for the shampoo considering he has no hair :D but it is a shame. Hope he is fit for the VB series. Great win by NZ though and much better fight shown by Sri Lanka. Hope they can continue their winning streak and nice to see Astle back.

Theres a problem for selectors, who is sidelined. How has played good and perhaps deserves to keep a place, but I think he is probably going to have to be the one to come out for Fleming. I think Astle should be kept as the supersub. If he backs up his latest performance well then consider adding him to the starting team.

I'm not sure the Marshall decision was that bad

Just watched it on TV. Its even worse after I have seen it again. Absolute shocker. Marshall's facial expression says it all. Hes been out of form and he really didn't need that. He even held up his bat after the stroke.

The Sri Lankans mabee over appealed but thats no excuse for the umpire.

Last edited:
kodos said:
Funny how Jayasuriya was reaching for the shampoo considering he has no hair :D but it is a shame. Hope he is fit for the VB series. Great win by NZ though and much better fight shown by Sri Lanka. Hope they can continue their winning streak and nice to see Astle back.
Hair grows in other areas too not just the head. :D

Sorry couldn't help it.

But I too hope he is fit for VB Series. He is a sort of batsman who can bring a series alive!!!!

what a good game all around.

good batting display from Tharanga and Attapatu others still look a bit mediocre

good play from astle too and what a throw for the runout of Attapatu

Still not good enough to get Astle into the squad for the next two games..............

rahulk666 said:
Hair grows in other areas too not just the head. :D

Sorry couldn't help it.

But I too hope he is fit for VB Series. He is a sort of batsman who can bring a series alive!!!!

Why the hell would you want to use shampoo on other areas of the body. That is just stupid.

kodos said:
Why the hell would you want to use shampoo on other areas of the body. That is just stupid.
Not me but, may be Jayasurya. Why the hell would he need Shampoo??

I say its definatly good enough to at least keep him in the squad or supersub. Mabee not the starting 11 though.

I will also add that if I was a Sri Lankan, I would of been pretty annoyed at the supersub rule. 90 not out is what it gave us, Sri Lanka gained nothing from theirs. Its a stupid rule and needs to be scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread