Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Well we didn't find room, Fleming and Patel got brought into the squad for Franklin and Astle. Franklin is on standbye for Mills who has a minor injury.

If we had to win the last games t win we probably wouldn;t of gotten rid of Astle but since its dead rubber as they say it means we can afford to play How for longer. I think FUlton, so long as he plays well, may become a permanent in the team.

The supersub makes the game more interesting, but I think they need to fine-tune it a bit. I didn't really watch the Marshall decision closely--maybe that's why I thought it was okay.

I think it just makes the game more dependant on the toss. It needs scrapping, its an 11 vs 11 game. Its how its been played for years, theres no need for change. They shouldn't tweak it, they should scrap it all together. The Powerplays I can live with.

Anyway old Michael Papps, yeah the guy who got hit by Lee in the head. Has scored 137 not out for Canterbury. I feel he really should be re-selected. He is very consistant and plays safely. The only problem is we have enough batsmen at the moment.

My assumption was backed up by the press conferance. Bracewell stated that they wanted to give the younger guys some experiance and there wasn't room for Astle. They didn't want to drop a younger player.

Its harsh but I am almost certain that Astle will return to play for Canterbury, will get some runs, fiftys and centurys hopefully and will be selected for the West Indies tour.

Last edited:
andrew_nixon said:
Supersub discussion goes in the thread we already have for it please.
Just to clarify this, as there has been a complaint.

You can, of course, feel free to discuss this particular instance of a super sub, but discussion of the merits of the supersub rule in general must go in the appropriate thread.

I was referring to the following:

I think it just makes the game more dependant on the toss. It needs scrapping, its an 11 vs 11 game. Its how its been played for years, theres no need for change. They shouldn't tweak it, they should scrap it all together.
The supersub makes the game more interesting, but I think they need to fine-tune it a bit.
The follwing is fine:

I will also add that if I was a Sri Lankan, I would of been pretty annoyed at the supersub rule. 90 not out is what it gave us, Sri Lanka gained nothing from theirs.

I saw the title, makes sense when NZ is going so well in ODIs and the fact they have this series wrapped up. NZ have lots of batting depth these days.

aussie1st said:
I saw the title, makes sense when NZ is going so well in ODIs and the fact they have this series wrapped up. NZ have lots of batting depth these days.
2-0 with 2 games left is hardly having the series wrapped up.

andrew_nixon said:
2-0 with 2 games left is hardly having the series wrapped up.
Actually it is a follow on of the last series, hence NZ are 3-0 with two matches left. You of all people should know that...

Well they can't lose it from here and they don't look like losing with the form they are in. Either way they can experiement in the next game, if they lose they bring back Astle for the last game.

Edit: Yea thats what I meant zorax ;) So I guess it is wrapped up then and they can rest Astle and whoever else they want to rest while trialing new guys.

Last edited:
ZoraxDoom said:
Actually it is a follow on of the last series, hence NZ are 3-0 with two matches left. You of all people should know that...
This is a 4 match series. New Zealand are 2-0 up. The 4 unplayed matches in the last series are recorded in the stats as abandoned NOT postponed. Hence this is a completly new series.

andrew_nixon said:
This is a 4 match series. New Zealand are 2-0 up. The 4 unplayed matches in the last series are recorded in the stats as abandoned NOT postponed. Hence this is a completly new series.
Uhh...no. Cricinfo is recording these matches as the completion of the previous series. The matches recorded as abandoned have been changed I think. NZ are 3-0 up in the 5 ODI series.

ZoraxDoom said:
Uhh...no. Cricinfo is recording these matches as the completion of the previous series. The matches recorded as abandoned have been changed I think. NZ are 3-0 up in the 5 ODI series.
Cricinfo is wrong. Cricket Archive, which is run by the Association of cricket statisticians, regard this as a separate series, and still records the last 4 ODIs of the previous series as abandoned.

So New Zealand are 2-0 up in a 4 ODI series.

That's as far as the statisticians are concerned of course, I believe the New Zealand board are using all 5 matches to decide who takes home the prize money.

Well Wisden Cricinfo is the official source, so if they change it, the ICC has changed it, and the series is a continuation.
So you, are wrong.

That felt good :)

ZoraxDoom said:
Well Wisden Cricinfo is the official source, so if they change it, the ICC has changed it, and the series is a continuation.
So you, are wrong.
Cricinfo is far from being official.

Something tells me that the ICC recognised Association of Cricket Statisticians is a bit more official than an independent website.

This, as far as the statisticians are concerned, is a 4 match ODI series. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread