West Indies in England

Harmison did bowl better, but is still way below par. Plunkett can't hitthe cut strip 50% ofthe time..Sidebottom is ony dangerous when its swinging..

I don't see enuffcounty cricket to say who should be brought in, but there has to be some bowlers playing in county cricket who could do at least as good a job if not better.

Of course hoggy will solve one problem coming in for plunkett. Harmison has probly done enuff to merit a place at his home ground (and mine), i hope is improvement of late continues..

Hoggys back so all will be well. Great effort by the Windies but it was always going to be too many with Monty bowling no matter what all these depressing fans say about us losing :p Montys another class. More worried about the test of the Indians but if we can get Fred back I'd expect us to win expecially if Harmy continues to find his form.

No, Rashid's too young. It'd be Schofield all over again. We don't want to ruin yet another talented youngster by calling them up too quickly.

Yeh, gotta agree, Harmy, Hoggy, Sidebottom and Panesar is a good enough attack tbh. We could do with Fred but we have to be patient with him. Possible recall for Simon Jones soon ?

It was good to see us get over the line and it was the sort of battle we needed. England haven't been contested at all this summer so we would have been underprepared for the India series.

Possible recall for Simon Jones soon ?
Not yet, he's still a long way from bowling at his best apparently.

I half agree about Sidebottom, we need him in the pace attack when Harmison is bowling waywardly, so he has to play at Durham. However, he's not the most potent bowler to be honest, so I would prefer, Broad, when back fully fit, to take his place. Glad to see that Hoggy's back, we'll get a lot more control than him than from Plunkett recently.

It was nice to see a close game to be honest and you gotta credit the West Indies and in particular Shivnarine Chanderpaul for their performance from Saturday onwards. It was just a few too many in the end.

I just want to say well done to the umpires as well, especially Aleem Dar. He and Bowden made some excellent decisions, when they could have easily given West Indian batsmen out. They were proved to be correct on most LBW decisions and on decisions on whether the ball had hit the glove etc.

Old Trafford has the best test wicket in the country in imo. Runs for batsmen, help for pace bowlers and spin bowlers. Bounce, pace and carry. And to top it all off, it didn't rain!

Last edited:
I think people are being harsh on Sidebottom. Do we drop Hoggard when the conditions aren't swinging? No we don't. Sidebottom bowls in the mid 80s, is very accurate and always gets good shape, he swung it today and the sky was blue all over.

He will be tested more against India obviously, but I like the guy and I think he's an important cog in our attack.

West indies players showed no intention to win except a few........
here are few words to describe west indies team

IMPATIENT
WRONG SHOT SELECTION
NOT EAGER TO WIN
ONE DIMENSIONAL BOWLING ATTACK
NOT LEARNING FROM MISTAKES

Could same the same about India actually.
There's fairly similar sides, just India are a better quality.
It should be an interesting summer.

IMPATIENT
WRONG SHOT SELECTION
NOT EAGER TO WIN

I take it you didn't watch the 4th innings then? :rolleyes:

don't compare India to west indies you can see there is a huge difference b/w
them ..........:cool:
dravid>10000runs
ganguly>10000
tendulkar>10000runs
WHAT MORE

have to agree, can't see us bowling India out twice in a match with our current standardof bowling..

however can't see them troubling our batting either..

IMPATIENT
WRONG SHOT SELECTION
NOT EAGER TO WIN
As Will said, were you really watching the 4th innings. They had a lot of patience, even the attacking players like Runako Morton and Dwayne Bravo, put their reigns on. To even come close to winning the game was an excellent effort and they need to be credited for the way they fought back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Sidebottom, he's done a mighty fine job and should keep his place for Durham. However if/when Harmison is back to his best, I dont think we will need Sidebottom, as we will have swing in Hoggard, more control in Harmison and potency from another bowler such as Broad, who deserves his chance.

Users who are viewing this thread