West Indies in England

Maybe we need to ask if we can play both Bell and Cook? maybe replace Bell with Shah?

Am I the only one with an overwhelming sense of excitement over the prospect of a new dawn of English cricket?

You make a good point SS, I mean we have to give them a chance to play together, so a series against a side that isn't in the top half of the World rankings and who have just been taken to the cleaners in a test series would be a good chances.

EvertonFan. Me too :D. Peter Moores is god.

Moores has showed more awareness towards County Cricketers in 6 weeks than Fletcher did in 8 years.

Exactly. It actually gives County Cricket and the players some recognition. It's given it a point. Hopefully it'll spur the players on.

And in dropping Vaughan and Strauss he has showed that there is no room for sentiment in the England team. You have to earn your place and there are no automatic selections.

Maybe we need to ask if we can play both Bell and Cook? maybe replace Bell with Shah?
Or maybe we need to ask if Prior opening the batting is a good idea, given how poor he was in that role last time around. Bell's best ODI performances have come right at the top of the order, and Prior as a finisher would offer a lot more than Bell IMO, while the likes of Trott would be wasted down there.

Furthermore, if you're going to unleash Prior at the top, you're not really selecting him as a true batsman - more a pinch hitting role. In which case, having Yardy bat 7 isn't really a good idea either, as you're essentially picking him as the 6th best bat with a List A average under 20.

Hence, I'd be going with this:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Owais Shah
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ryan Sidebottom
10. Monty Panesar
11. James Anderson

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Owais Shah
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ryan Sidebottom
10. Monty Panesar
11. James Anderson

Nice to see you acknowledged that the powerplays need to be used.

Also where's the evidence that Cook can be used to anchor the innings and bat for a hundred? He has ONE list A century. I'm also disappointed there's no real biffers in the team - Benning for example.

1. Alastair Cook
2. Ian Bell
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Owais Shah
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ryan Sidebottom
10. Monty Panesar
11. James Anderson

That would be my team apart from Prior would open for me, Bell floating, preferably coming in when the spinners are and and he can just knurdle. I think that this would give a lot of power at the bottom if Pietersen/Trott/Prior can bat for a while, and then they can have a hit at the end with Shah/Mascarenhas. It gives a good balance imo.

I like the squad, especially Trott, shame he has gone unnoticed for so long with an average like he does. Averaging in the 80s this year.

Monty has to be in the side for me, he has done nothing wrong and has been our most consistent ODI player in the matches he has played. If he gives it a bit more loop then he will be very useful, especially against a WI side who struggled to play him in the Test Series.

Looks like a new era for England cricket, especially for ODI cricket, lets hope that we can perhaps score big runs bowl straight...

i'd like to see benning in there too..

for me..shah is too similar to bell cook and collingwood.. (but not as good)..

for me we don't have enuff stroke-makers..

My team

Cook
Prior
Trott
KP
Colly
Bell
Mascarenhas
Broad
Sidebum
Anderson
Panesar

Really though my middle order could always be flexible on match situation

Not enough stroke Makers!? I think you have lost the meaning of a stroke maker. Vaughan, Bell, Collingwood, Cook, All Stroke makers.

We do need more imputous, but that's why I advocate Prior being given a run at the top of the order. You cannot say playing not many ODI's with weeks gap in between them is a chance.

I too would have liked to see Benning, but he's too hit and miss at the moment. He needs to achieve a big more. Become more reliable rather than a hundred then 6 nothings.

Not enough stroke Makers!? I think you have lost the meaning of a stroke maker. Vaughan, Bell, Collingwood, Cook, All Stroke makers.

all scoring inaithodox way in authox areas..

bring the field and their screwed..

I meant someone who can actually hit boundaries..

Compare our batting line-up to any other decent ODI side..only KP and colly would get near another International ODI side.

And KP is the only true match-winner in the team..other sides have 3-4 batsmen who on their day can win a match

Users who are viewing this thread