Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Just a couple of quick questions for Aussies.

1) So would four pacer attack definitely by better than persisting with White? Like if you drop White and bring Clark back in, and keep Watto, four pacers + Watto.

I would say yes as it means we have 4 wicket taking bowlers rather than 3 wicket taking bowlers. I'd prefer to see Bollinger cause he has the height and can swing the ball but if we were going the 4 pace attack it looks like Clark would come in for White. As long as Lee hits his form from the past year then we will be fine as Siddle should be better for the experience and get back to his usual line and length with Johnson being the Lee of old and attacking. Not much I have to say about Clark we all know what he does.

aussie1st added 4 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

I'm sure Sohum will like this quote

"It's ridiculous for a captain to get himself in that position where he can't bowl his main bowler because he is got behind in the over rate," Chappell said. "I hope that he learns his lesson from not being able to bowl his major bowler at a time when he wants to."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...t-lift--ponting/2008/10/21/1224351253040.html

The article explains why Lee wasn't bowling in the morning and hes safe from the axe.

Lol what he's saying is true though. You're India, why the hell are you supporting Australia?

I've asked him before on MSN and trust me it's a very legitimate reason. Quite personal as well, goes well beyond being just a crappy team.

Just let him be.

Nice humerous article :)

My favourite part:

Of course, the gangster-slapping off spinner, Harbhajan Singh, has a dreadful track record of openly flouting the laws and spirit of the game. In this series, he seems to have gone a step further, humiliating his Australian counterparts by actually turning the ball off the pitch.

:p

I wish Ricky Ponting would shut his mouth about "crossing the line"

Very hypocritical, not like Ponting and his team-mates have never done it before.

Feel slightly sorry for Zaheer, although his celebration was well and truly out of order, but Ponting shouldn't be coming out with such statements when his team were the first ones to start it in cricket (as far as I know)

Gillespie was once a superb bowler, capable of considerable movement and pace up to over 150kph. This article credits him with a delivery at 153.9kph. However, he was not your typical pace bowler, as he often left his pace in reserve and concentrated on hitting the right line and length and extracting seam movement. He was the perfect foil to Mcgrath; a quicker bowler who beat the bat tremendously often and built up the pressure with Mcgrath.

For sure. Those two have been my all-time favorite opening pair. I haven't seen the famous West Indians or Pakistanis openers though.

If McGrath wasn't bagging wickets, Gillespie was. It was a pleasure to watch those two, because they were both so threatening that as manee says, they set wickets up for the other. For a few years Gillespie was a better bowler than McGrath. No contest, Dizzy > Clark.

I'd rate Clark above Kaspa. Kaspa was good, and we kind of drew the short straw having McGrath, Gillespie and Warne taking all the wickets. Gave him limited chances.

Last edited:
I'm sure Sohum will like this quote

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...t-lift--ponting/2008/10/21/1224351253040.html

The article explains why Lee wasn't bowling in the morning and hes safe from the axe.
Utter tripe. The over-rate excuse is just one to keep the media at bay. If Ponting seriously thinks the over-rate only dropped down at that stage of the day, then his support team back in the pavilion needs to talk to him more often. His over-rate has been pathetic throughout this series as well as when we toured Australia.

Besides, why would Ponting suddenly want to up the over-rate, especially when he knew that the more overs he could waste, the less time he would have to bat?

As badly as I rate Ponting as a captain, I think he's smarter than that. There is obviously some sort of disagreement with Ponting and Lee.

Utter tripe. The over-rate excuse is just one to keep the media at bay. If Ponting seriously thinks the over-rate only dropped down at that stage of the day, then his support team back in the pavilion needs to talk to him more often. His over-rate has been pathetic throughout this series as well as when we toured Australia.

Besides, why would Ponting suddenly want to up the over-rate, especially when he knew that the more overs he could waste, the less time he would have to bat?

As badly as I rate Ponting as a captain, I think he's smarter than that. There is obviously some sort of disagreement with Ponting and Lee.

Stop hatching eggs :mad: and let us plan for next test match :mad

The disagreement is basically that Lee expected to be bowled, since he is thought as Australia's main strike bowler, while Ponting did not feel / want (as he can exercise his right to) to bowl Lee.

Honestly, instead of arguing, I think Lee should have shown skip, you've made a big mistake leaving me out of the attack in the morning, and taken 3-4 wickets and bowled at a solid pace with decent accuracy.

Instead, I think Lee was just focused on his spat (or whatever we need to call it) with Ponting, and thus, inconsistent bowling (although he has been inconsistent in both of these 2 tests)

Hopefully we will see some good fightback and evenly balanced contest in next 2 matches,because this was one of the most anticipated test series of this year,and so far their has been so such tussle between them,India has dominated...

Your response has nothing to do with my post. I'm not hatching eggs--I'm pointing out the holes in Ponting's reasoning which are so large that you could fit a parade of elephants through them.

I can think of few good reasons

1)They were just trying to take the pace off the ball , so the batsmen have to create their own pace.

2)Get through few overs quickly to help the overrate. Last think we want is for Punter to get suspended.

3)There is no point risking Lee at that point. I mean we were just trying to keep the runs down and wait for the declaration. Hes our best bowler , we need him for the next match and in the future (we got so much cricket in the next 12 months).Why risk running Lee in to ground ? He had a split webbing as well.

Its not uncommon to see bowlers argue with the captain. Infact its good to see that Lee wanted to bowl when he really had nothing to gain. This is just another classic example of media sensationalism.

I can think of few good reasons

1)They were just trying to take the pace off the ball , so the batsmen have to create their own pace.

2)Get through few overs quickly to help the overrate. Last think we want is for Punter to get suspended.

3)There is no point risking Lee at that point. I mean we were just trying to keep the runs down and wait for the declaration. Hes our best bowler , we need him for the next match and in the future (we got so much cricket in the next 12 months).Why risk running Lee in to ground ? He had a split webbing as well.

Its not uncommon to see bowlers argue with the captain. Infact its good to see that Lee wanted to bowl when he really had nothing to gain. This is just another classic example of media sensationalism.
I totally agree with (1) and (3). Why didn't Ponting say one of those, instead of (2)? To say that it was the over-rate is an absolutely pathetic argument, especially since in the supposed period of helping the over-rate, it was still a paltry 13 overs per hour. It is not media-sensationalism--it's common sense. If Ponting wanted to improve the over-rate he would have used 2-3 spinners instead of bowlers with run-ups (even Hussey had a run-up).

I totally agree with (1) and (3). Why didn't Ponting say one of those, instead of (2)? To say that it was the over-rate is an absolutely pathetic argument, especially since in the supposed period of helping the over-rate, it was still a paltry 13 overs per hour. It is not media-sensationalism--it's common sense. If Ponting wanted to improve the over-rate he would have used 2-3 spinners instead of bowlers with run-ups (even Hussey had a run-up).

I am not sure , you have to ask him that. I am sure Neilsen said the logic behind this was to take the pace of the ball and slow it down. Maybe Punter is just trying to draw Match Ref's attention to the fact that he was atleast trying to increase the over-rate. Hes is a smart man punter. ;)

Mr.Cricket added 4 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Question to all the Indian fans about the Delhi Pitch. I am sure it would favour spin as usual, so who do you reckon would have more success in Delhi ? Cam White with his part time leggies or a quick bowler like Siddle or Bollinger ?

Users who are viewing this thread