Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Clark is definitely one of the best pacemen in the world, I never rated him when he first got picked, even after his stunning debut I wasn't sold, but the way he bowled during the Ashes brought me around, Lee had a pretty poor series but Clark was fantastic, the stand out pace bowler of the series. He'll be very important for Australia, especially if as expected Johnson survives.

"India tour is bigger than the Ashes.The 2001 Kolkata Test has triggered this rivalary"says Simon Katich

He's wrong.

Also, who the hell is Jason Krejza ? He's got a FC average of 45 and has never taken a 5fer. Beau Casson should have been in the squad, I thought he bowled pretty well in the carribean, from what I saw anyway. Seems Australia are really struggling for a quality spinner. McGain's got a good record though.

He's wrong.

Also, who the hell is Jason Krejza ? He's got a FC average of 45 and has never taken a 5fer. Beau Casson should have been in the squad, I thought he bowled pretty well in the carribean, from what I saw anyway. Seems Australia are really struggling for a quality spinner. McGain's got a good record though.
Obviously you aren't too farmilar with how difficult it is for genuine spin-bowlers to have success on Australian surfaces.

Look at Murali's record in Australia, averages like 60 runs per wicket or something. The great Shane Warne averaged 34 in Australian domestic first-class cricket in Australia.

Nathan Hauritz averages over 50 in First-Class Cricket but in his 1 and only Test match that was played in spinner friendly conditions, he took 5 wickets and ended up with an average of 20.

The majority of Australian spinners would have first-class averages hovering around 25 if they bowled in spinner friendly conditions, just like many subcontient spinners have superb looking first-class records.

You gotta realise that these guys are playing in the worst possible conditions for spin bowlers and are playing in probably the most competitive domestic competition in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is simply stating that Australia are struggling for a quality spin bowler outrageous? They've been through 3, i think, since Warne retired and none have done very well. Australia are struggling for a quality spinner.

Australia's squad clearly has a lot of new guns looking foe their debut.it could be interesting to see how they face the indians who are very strong back home.
it would also be interesting to see the indian squad, if they still persist with the old guys or name any of the new legs like Badrinath,Kaif,rohit sharma,etc....

Clark is definitely one of the best pacemen in the world, I never rated him when he first got picked, even after his stunning debut I wasn't sold, but the way he bowled during the Ashes brought me around, Lee had a pretty poor series but Clark was fantastic, the stand out pace bowler of the series. He'll be very important for Australia, especially if as expected Johnson survives.

Lot of fans around the world think Clark is only dangerous if there is something for him in the pitch (like in Aus and SA). I see lot of comments saying how Clark will be ineffective in India because there is not much seam movement or uneven bounce. I really fail to understand this logic. Surely any batsman would hate facing an accurate nagging bowler like Clark even on a belter of a pitch. Mcgrath had lot of success in India and Clark is the closest thing you will get to a Mcgrath clone(not saying he is as good). No doubt it will be hard work for him in India but I think he will do ok.

He's wrong.

Pretty funny coming from a pom considering you guys had Giles in the team for few years:D

Mcgain will do the job!

Casson missed out for two reason:
a) He's carrying an injury from the India A tour.
b) They preferred Krejza because left arm wrist spinners apparently struggle more than finger spinners in these conditions. Plus an OS complements McGain's LS.

I am doubting Australia will tour India considering what Indian Mujahideen has been doing lately.

Obviously you aren't too farmilar with how difficult it is for genuine spin-bowlers to have success on Australian surfaces.

Look at Murali's record in Australia, averages like 60 runs per wicket or something. The great Shane Warne averaged 34 in Australian domestic first-class cricket in Australia.

Nathan Hauritz averages over 50 in First-Class Cricket but in his 1 and only Test match that was played in spinner friendly conditions, he took 5 wickets and ended up with an average of 20.

The majority of Australian spinners would have first-class averages hovering around 25 if they bowled in spinner friendly conditions, just like many subcontient spinners have superb looking first-class records.

You gotta realise that these guys are playing in the worst possible conditions for spin bowlers and are playing in probably the most competitive domestic competition in the world.

Yes you're quite right. I looked up the Sheffield Shield averages of Warne and MacGill to give even more weight to this argument. MacGill averaged 33.06 for NSW, compared to 30.70 for Notts and 29.02 for Australia.

But Warne's is a much bigger difference. Warne averaged 34.72 for Victoria, 25.58 for Hampshire and 25.41 for Australia.

So even the best spinners we've had for years are only averaging 35 in Sheffield Shield, 5 or 10 runs above their international average. That being said even if you adjust Krejza for this, his international average would still be around 35-40 probably, not real good.

"India tour is bigger than the Ashes.The 2001 Kolkata Test has triggered this rivalary"says Simon Katich

If the 2005 Ashes never happened he might be right. Maybe Katich has deleted those memories from his brain where the reverse swing of Flintoff and Jones just killed him.

If the 2005 Ashes never happened he might be right. Maybe Katich has deleted those memories from his brain where the reverse swing of Flintoff and Jones just killed him.
Well we've had one good Ashes series in 20 years (maybe two, the 1997 series was still up for grabs by the 5th Test), but the Border-Gavaskar trophy is more consistent, in the last 10 years, India have won two and drawn one. Plus, where the Aussies and the English have many beers together, there's a bit more hostility with India, though I guess by the same token you could say there's nothing worse than being beaten by your best friend.

I definitely think that is an Bias statement. As a neutral side I would consider the england domestic season to be much more competitive then the Aussie one. But thats just me.

lets just hope the tour goes ahead in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread