Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Katich will get first dibs on the #6 spot and I think Mitchell Johnson will play ahead of Bollinger. I'd say they will only think of replacing him if he bowls badly in the first 2 tests.

The only variation might come if we decide to play 2 spinners (very risky considering our current spin quality). Then Watson might come in for Katich at #6, giving a 3rd pace option behind Lee and Clark, while McGain and Krejza play as spinners.

Honestly though, I'd guess Michael Clarke is nearly as good a spinner as Krejza, and that's not saying much for Aussie spin bowling at the moment.

Looking at this team I don't think Symonds loss will be felt much at all. Watson is nearly as good with the bat IMO, and I think Katich is just as good if not better than Roy - just with different strengths. Roy's off spinners have become tamer and tamer in the last couple of seasons as well, so they were never going to be a huge factor anyway.

I would say the side will be

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Simon Katich/Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Stuart Clark
11. Bryce McGain

The selectors love for an all rounder still has me thinking he'll play. Johnson won't be dropped and we have stated we are going to use a similar tactic to the last tour. Also explains why we have so many pacemen. If McGain fails we might see Bollinger come in for him.

Was looking more into Krejza he got 18 wickets at 47 while Dan Cullen 18 at 49. Cullen has one test under his belt and 5 ODI and has a much better overall FC record with more 4 and 5 fers. Both are off spinners so I don't see why the selectors didn't go with a more experienced guy with more potential.

Last edited:
Katich has a 4 fer against India at test level. After that he has bearly bowled against them. I'd prefer him to Watson bowling any day and he has proven he can score runs against India. Watson was so dodgy against Murali that I wouldn't have him in my starting side.

And more importantly, he has proven he can score runs in India.

Sorry,got that wrong.
Katich has never been effective against Tendulkar!

Well, what do you expect? Warne and Murali have had trouble against him, so it's not as if a part timer would.

I would say the side will be

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Simon Katich/Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Stuart Clark
11. Bryce McGain

The selectors love for an all rounder still has me thinking he'll play. Johnson won't be dropped and we have stated we are going to use a similar tactic to the last tour. Also explains why we have so many pacemen. If McGain fails we might see Bollinger come in for him.

Was looking more into Krejza he got 18 wickets at 47 while Dan Cullen 18 at 49. Cullen has one test under his belt and 5 ODI and has a much better overall FC record with more 4 and 5 fers. Both are off spinners so I don't see why the selectors didn't go with a more experienced guy with more potential.

That is the same as my side, just with Johnson ahead of Bollinger. I don't think Bollinger will get a run, however I want him to...

As for the Krejza-Cullen situation, I agree, Cullen has more experience, and as a bowler alone, a spinner.

Yea ideally I would have gone with your side but no way the selectors will drop Johnson. So got no choice but to hope he lives up to his hype for once and doesn't get smashed around leaving us with 3 bowlers.

If McGain plays it is quite probable that his career will be terminated early. Wasn't there some unknown spinner who was brought on the last tour and played and has since disappeared from the international scene now?

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

You're confusing the ODI team with the Test team. The Test team still features Laxman and Ganguly, two of the best players of spin in the world (in that order). Tendulkar is also good against spin and Dravid can hold his own. Sehwag eats spin before breakfast. Dhoni has shown that he can handle spin. So our Test team can face spin.

Also, I don't think McGain is any Mendis. If he were, he would have made his debut way earlier.
Hauritz hasn't faded out, let's not forget that he took 5 wickets at 20.6 on his test debut. He struggled a bit after that but is back in form, particularly in the OD arena.

Krezja was picked because he's a finger spinner, to complement McGain's wrist spin should we require a second spinner. Dan Cullen was no chance after two seasons struggling for a spot in SA's FC team.

McGain was always the best option and he will prove to be a real asset. Sure, he's no Shane Warne, but his consistency and temperament will be very important in India.

Krezja wasn't too much better tbh, even Cullen struggling sees him match the best Krezja could dish up.

Haurtiz was the leading wicket taker for spinners 2 seasons ago, he fell away last season but I'm sure he'll come back better this season.

Katich has a 4 fer against India at test level. After that he has bearly bowled against them. I'd prefer him to Watson bowling any day and he has proven he can score runs against India. Watson was so dodgy against Murali that I wouldn't have him in my starting side.

Just a quick question , whats his bowling been like in pura cup cricket in the last couple of years ? I could be wrong but I dont think he bowl much these days.

Pup has to step up.

McGain was always the best option and he will prove to be a real asset. Sure, he's no Shane Warne, but his consistency and temperament will be very important in India.

Yeah I dont think any1 expect him to rip through the Indian batting line up. If he can hold up one end and keep the pressure up to support the quick bowlers Punter would be pretty happy (like Warne in 04 tour). He has the accuracy to do that. Indian batsmen will show no respect to him and they will go after him from ball 1 , so hes a big chance to get few wickets as well.

Just a quick question , whats his bowling been like in pura cup cricket in the last couple of years ? I could be wrong but I dont think he bowl much these days.

Pup has to step up.

He hasn't really been bowling for some reason. Didn't even try his hand during the A tour of India but gave Voges and North a few overs. He might have some problem like Clarke which prevents him from bowling as he had the potential to become a very handy part time bowler.

He hasn't really been bowling for some reason. Didn't even try his hand during the A tour of India but gave Voges and North a few overs. He might have some problem like Clarke which prevents him from bowling as he had the potential to become a very handy part time bowler.

He was a very handy bowler early in his career. I hope he can still bowl or they might pick Watson instead:mad:

With Katich capable of bowling a spell of canny wrist spin if needed, I think the selectors would recognise that the inclusion of Watson isn't a great bowling bonus, so I think that's definitely a Plan B selection in conjunction with both spinners. Like I've said before though, I don't think you don't see too many situations where Australia would want to drop a paceman against India.

Australia's best fast bowlers have in recent times bowled well in India. In the 35 years between tour wins, the likes of Lillee, Thomson, Alderman, Lawson and Merv Hughes never toured. McDermott, Reid and Reiffel only played two games. McGrath and Gillespie though, were instrumental in winning the Border-Gavaskar trophy. Additionally, in recent ODI series, players like Bracken and Johnson have played starring roles.

I also agree with Ben that the two back-up pacemen stand to be dangerous if given a chance. However, it must also be conceded that none of the current bowling attack will have any Test experience in India before the first match and it seems only six matches on the sub continent between them. An extra tour match might be vital in being able to get it right the first time and I guess not unlike the last series in Australia, poor weather could be a big set back to the tourists.

aussie selectors have gone mad. They should have picked symonds. Huge loss to australian cricket.

To be honest, I don't see why Australia shouldn't start favourites in this series.

Sure, we don't have Warne & McGrath anymore but our batting lineup is head and shoulders above the Indian's. Tendulkar & Laxman are the big wickets, Dravid isn't nearly half as good as what he used to be and the rest of the Indian batting lineup isn't much to ride home about.

I wouldn't say that India's bowling lineup is any better then ours either. I'd back McGain to have more success then Harbhajan or Kumble in this series and our pace attack is far superior to India's, even if you include Mitchell Johnson.

Stuart Clark is one to watch out for I feel. Used to hate him and think that he didn't deserve to be the Australian side but truth be told he is an absolute gun. I feel he will prove allot of doubts wrong in this series and prove that he can have success on subcontient wickets with his tidy lengths and superb variation.

Harbhajan and Kumble remain the backbone, but they're workhorses rather than devastators. Players like that can prevent teams from reaching 400 regularly, but if they want to consistently bowl Australia out for less than 350, they either need 4 terrible pitches or a decent pair of pacemen. Fitness is also a concern for the quicker bowlers. Ishant Sharma definitely has to get out there. I'm not so certain about Zaheer Khan at home, but having him for the whole series would probably be better than the alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread