Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

india all the way!:happy
[at least for now...]

You're kidding me. I would surely say "favorites" for australia. Their batting line up is pretty strong, and Lee/Clark have it in them to make up for the absence of a spinner. Johnson has had success in the ODI's in India, and we dont know who is going to be their spinner which makes up for the mystery bit. I would say Australia are favorites, though it would be 52-48 in favor of them. For India, Dravid's absence of form hurts our test team badly. He is our lynchpin and hasnt been the same Dravid for quite a long time now. We dont know how Sachin will turn up (he is in poor form right now but he can shake it off in secs). It will again depend on our openers. This time, we have Dhoni who wont perform worser than Karthik or Patel, and we will also have his vice captaincy to assist Kumble who is in pathetic form which makes matters worse. We have a tough task on hand.

Last edited:
We are going to lose with the oldies thats for sure. I wish Badrinath and some other domestic players with good FC averages could take the place of Ganguly and Dravid. Even if they suck at first, they'll be tons better than the latter and will actually learn something.

But then again Dravid is one of my faves and I've been hoping he gets his form back since India in Australia, but sadly that has yet to happen. Maybe this series will rekindle his form :upray:upray

Even Lee and Clark will be tested in India. It will be Clark's biggest test and Lee's hardest one as leader of the pack. All aspects of our bowling attack will be under the microscope. It's more than likely do or die for Johnson, if we lose and he has a bad series he could well be dropped.

Yeah good point mate. We really need Lee to strike early with the new ball and hopefully get the ball to reverse swing later (like last time). Agree about Johnson as well, make or break time for him . Who knows maybe this could be a breakout tour for him. ;)

You're kidding me. I would surely say "favorites" for australia. Their batting line up is pretty strong, and Lee/Clark have it in them to make up for the absence of a spinner. Johnson has had success in the ODI's in India, and we dont know who is going to be their spinner which makes up for the mystery bit. I would say Australia are favorites, though it would be 52-48 in favor of them. For India, Dravid's absence of form hurts our test team badly. He is our lynchpin and hasnt been the same Dravid for quite a long time now. We dont know how Sachin will turn up (he is in poor form right now but he can shake it off in secs). It will again depend on our openers. This time, we have Dhoni who wont perform worser than Karthik or Patel, and we will also have his vice captaincy to assist Kumble who is in pathetic form which makes matters worse. We have a tough task on hand.

Sachin always play well against Aussies. Sachin and VVS lift big time when they play us , it might happen again this time. Actually the whole team India lift when they play us unfortunately.

We need pitches like Kanpur game against RSA and we will win 4-0.

Finally the Aussie Test squad gets named, shouldn't be any surprises really.

Probable lineup from SMH
Australia (probable): Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Beau Casson, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Bryce McGain, Shane Watson.

Could have David Hussey for Watson but the selectors love for Watson and the all rounder will see him in the squad.

i was just supporting India, wasnt pointing out whos fav. or not:rolleyes:

MacLovin added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Actually the whole team India lift when they play us unfortunately.

lol the anger section works for them!

Cricket Australia has announced the following 15-man squad for the upcoming four-Test tour of India: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke (vice-capt), Doug Bollinger, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Jason Krejza, Brett Lee, Bryce McGain, Peter Siddle, Shane Watson.

Two real surprises with Siddle and Krejza. It seems to have gone with the conditions and feel Krejza off spin will be more effective than Casson chinamen. Pretty much assures McGain of a spot unless they are going with 4 pacemen. Well deserved selection for Siddle, he was the 2nd best of the pacemen during the A tour. Noffke is unlucky to miss out but his bowling seems to have been exposed in India.

Will be great to finally see a Victorian back in the test team in McGain, deserved the spot ahead of Casson in the West Indies and now gets his chance which is a great decision and will be interesting to see if he can bowl well against the Indians, great players of spin.

Krejza is definitely an interesting pick, not sure whether he'll get a game but will get valuable experience travelling with the squad anyway. Siddle the same, probably won't get his chance ahead of Johnson and Bollinger, but will hold him in good stead for the upcoming home series against South Africa and New Zealand should a spot open up through poor form or injury.

Interesting. When Krezja was a junior, he used to play in the same junior competition as I did acouple of years ago.

Nevertheless, can't wait to see Matty Hayden absolutely maul this Indian bowling lineup once again.

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting (c)
Hussey
Clarke
Katich
Haddin (wk)
Lee
Siddle
Clark
McGain

Too many new players have been added to Aussie squad, hmmm... Will be interesting to see how they perform...

Krejza has probably been picked as much for nets practice as for anything, though he might get a look in at Feroz Shah Kotla. That they've taken two extra fast bowlers suggests they're quite happy to stick to the formula. In recent times, it has been well illustrated that good pace outweighs shoddy spin even in India.

I think Watson has probably proven his worth by now, as a batsman at least, so I'm not fussed that he has come off a pretty shocking season of first class cricket.

Siddle is definitely a surprise queue jumper, I guess it might mean that he was in contention for the West Indies earlier, but for injury. He certainly had a season that grabbed attention and his bowling in the final was the goods, but the question remains whether there is a particular attitude shift that moves Noffke further out of contention. Both only got a couple of spells in for Aus A and not for any load of wickets, but maybe there was plenty to see for the eyes on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread