Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

I don't believe that,If McGain plays he will not take a wicket.
Just wait and see.

Mcgain and Siddle in the squad :D

No idea how Krejza got picked in the squad but otherwise its pretty much what we expected. Good to see Bollinger and Siddle there to put some heat on Johnson. David Hussey very unlucky not to get selected but I guess they like to have that all rounder option open.

Will be great to finally see a Victorian back in the test team in McGain, deserved the spot ahead of Casson in the West Indies and now gets his chance which is a great decision and will be interesting to see if he can bowl well against the Indians, great players of spin.

Krejza is definitely an interesting pick, not sure whether he'll get a game but will get valuable experience travelling with the squad anyway. Siddle the same, probably won't get his chance ahead of Johnson and Bollinger, but will hold him in good stead for the upcoming home series against South Africa and New Zealand should a spot open up through poor form or injury.

Dont say that. Its not true anymore. In the past few seasons, we have showed that we can falter against spin too

If McGain and Siddle both play then Australia will win 4-0.
If McGain plays it is quite probable that his career will be terminated early. Wasn't there some unknown spinner who was brought on the last tour and played and has since disappeared from the international scene now?

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Dont say that. Its not true anymore. In the past few seasons, we have showed that we can falter against spin too

India is now pretty mediocre at spin TBH
You're confusing the ODI team with the Test team. The Test team still features Laxman and Ganguly, two of the best players of spin in the world (in that order). Tendulkar is also good against spin and Dravid can hold his own. Sehwag eats spin before breakfast. Dhoni has shown that he can handle spin. So our Test team can face spin.

Also, I don't think McGain is any Mendis. If he were, he would have made his debut way earlier.

If McGain plays it is quite probable that his career will be terminated early. Wasn't there some unknown spinner who was brought on the last tour and played and has since disappeared from the international scene now?

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

You're confusing the ODI team with the Test team. The Test team still features Laxman and Ganguly, two of the best players of spin in the world (in that order). Tendulkar is also good against spin and Dravid can hold his own. Sehwag eats spin before breakfast. Dhoni has shown that he can handle spin. So our Test team can face spin.

Also, I don't think McGain is any Mendis. If he were, he would have made his debut way earlier.

I feel that Sachin has weakened against spinners. He used to be a demon against spinners, but he has weakened against them. Rahul is good, but not great. Laxman is very good. Ganguly will not play the series. Dhoni is not as bad as Yuvraj, but he can be plucked out by not so great balls (in test cricket). Not sure how many times Sehwag or Gambhir would survive to face spinners.

but this time, its a newcomer McGain and so, the Indians should find it a lot easier (no offence to Mcgain's capabilities). If Sachin can give the 'Warne' treatment to Mcgain, it would set up a very very exciting series. I am just waiting for that Sachin to come out.

McGain will perform better than any of our current spin options. Hes got the best control of the lot and being a lot older than the other guys he doesn't feel the pressure. Hes already shown he can take wickets in India after the A batsmen tried to smash him out of the park only to see 3 wickets fall to him.

In Siddle and Bollinger we have two very capable back up bowlers should Johnson fail. Both were impressive during the A tour.

Interesting squad that Australia have named. Krejza is a decent off spinner who can bat a bit from what I have heard, but I don't see why he should of been selected. He will not get a run while Bryce McGain is there. But as in my report, he may just be this spinner Australia are blooding. I said, "The next topic I wish to cover is Australia's spinner. We need one, who is a front line spinner, not some part timer, like Andrew Symonds or Michael Clarke. Although Clarke has been talking to former leg spin king, Shane Warne, not doing much bowling, just discussing field placements, how to bowl to certain batsmen, where to pitch it, etc.

I think Australia's spinner should be Bryce McGain, even though he is a quick fix. He will be good enough for the tour of India, New Zealand's tour here, and finally the South African tour. However, we may need to blood a spinner, for the 2009 Ashes, because if McGain can't last that long, we will be lost on the spin friendly pitches of England." This is correct, and Australia may just be making the right move in selecting him, so he can hang around the team a bit, and get the feel of things. I can see him sending down a few in the One Dayers as well, where McGain can be rested.

Watson will only be for the One Dayers.

Great to see Bollinger in the side, exactly what we need, so he can play Tests and Johnson can bowl in the ODI's. As I have said many times before, he is a one day player, and he gets the ball to bend back in to the right handers, which is great. It will be interesting to see how much swing any of the Australian bowlers can get from these pitches.

From the squad above, I think we can expect a side looking a little something like this:
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Simon Katich/Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Bryce McGain
11. Doug Bollinger

The only position I am unsure about in there is number 6, where we no longer have Andrew Symonds, for this tour at least. I think Simon Katich should be selected over Shane Watson, for 2 main reasons;

1 - Because Katich is better at rebuilding innings after losing a few wickets, where Harbhajan and Kumble will rip through our top order on our pitches.

2 - He offers more spin, which is what you need on Indian, low, spinning pitches. And with Lee, Clark and Bollinger holding up the fast bowling attack, as well as McGain sending down some leggies, another fast bowler is not needed.

One more note, I don't know where McGain bats, so I just slotted him in at number 10. Correct me if he would bat in a different spot.

And yes, that did drag on, and makes no sense at all. :)

Your right it didn't make cents!:laugh

Katich has never been affective with his bowling against India.

Katich has a 4 fer against India at test level. After that he has bearly bowled against them. I'd prefer him to Watson bowling any day and he has proven he can score runs against India. Watson was so dodgy against Murali that I wouldn't have him in my starting side.

Users who are viewing this thread