Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Australia are defensive from the morning and its not gonna help them get wickets. They need to attack little and try to get wickets otherwise runs will keep flowing.

It's the Ponting way, let India declare and pray he and the other batters can save the match. :noway

Gambhir is probably the most verbal batsman that i've seen anyways. He 'gives it back' to the bowlers the most, no doubt.

But in this case - Watson was just being a prick.

Agree. Most of the Aussie players struggle to play nicely when they are not on top. It's just an attitude thing - they are very confident, even arrogant in some cases and sledging or aggressive acts are their natural defensive reaction.

Watson was at the end of his teather probably because he thought he deserved more respect. After all, he produced a great delivery to hit Gambhir on both glove and helmet, but the ball flew unluckily between keeper and wide slip.

Thinking more about the Gambhir/Watson clash, it seems in cricket we have been lucky that these incidents between bowler and a running batsmen haven't occurred more often. They pass within centimetres of each other every time a run is made, so in theory we should have seen more of this. Most bowlers already 'block' the batsman a bit, especially when they are turning for 2, but it is extremely hard to prove it's intentional.

But the last thing we should want to see in cricket games is the batsman going outside his personal space like Gambhir did here. Even if he is provoked, tough luck - they need to stop this kind of rubbish before it starts to escalate. I hope they have a stiff word to Watson, and fine Gambhir just to make sure other batsmen don't get any ideas - this is something we should be discouraging people, lets not make Gambhir out as the victim.

Oh and lets see more Katich today please Ricky. It's totally obvious the tactics. He bowls the fast men until we are so behind the over rate that we need to bowl spin to catch up. India cash in on an easy hour of batting due to their tameness and suddenly the score is out of hand. They merely have to outlast the quicks and that looks easy with this group and on this pitch, no movement from our lads. But I bet Zaheer and Ishant get the ball talking straight away. Damn SG balls...

so what was so wrong with picking Casson these spinners Australia have are useless.
Ideally we had Bryce McGain ready to go and his basically a similar type of bowler to Amit Mishra. It's a shame he got injured because Mishra took a 5fer in the last Test. What could have been....

Gambhir really should be feeling proud that many bowlers are sledging him because it only means he's one of the best batsmen in the world.

This is really looking bad for Australia. They need quick wickets now. I dont know what is wrong with their bowlers. May be its taking them long to adjust to the conditions or it could be that the Indian batsmen are just too good.

Laxman taking lot more time to get to that hundred... I love the Gambhir-Sehwag way, go for that six!:p

Great morning so far for India. They have been wearing down the Aussie bowlers like anything in this series. Gambhir has played superbly. Possibly the knock of his lifetime. He is sure for atleast 10-15 games on the trot now. Hope he uses those games to make himself the permanent Indian opener until he retires. He is big potential

What about English bowlers ? They are an absolute gentleman ?
Didn't realise the English were taking part in an India-Australia game. :rolleyes:

sohummisra added 0 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Some say Taylor was a better captain than Waugh. I didn't see enough of this as it wasn't something that bothered me during Taylor's era. But Waugh certainly was always aggressive and one step ahead. Ponting has always been a poor captain, we lost the Ashes because of it. He can produce the captains knock but his field placement and bowling choices are very poor. They in part have lead to our spinners being whacked all over the place.
Honestly, I didn't watch enough of Australian cricket during Taylor's reign. But I watched plenty of Steve Waugh's reign and Ponting's reign and I can safely say that Waugh was at least twice as good a captain as Ponting.

VVS gets hus century! Great innings from him.
praise.gif

Last edited:
Congrats to Laxman nice way to bring up the 100. Very painful to see Australia being dominated with such ease with very little hope of getting a wicket. And seems like Ponting hasn't learnt his lesson about Katich. He could have bowled him with White.

Gambhir really should be feeling proud that many bowlers are sledging him because it only means he's one of the best batsmen in the world.

This is really looking bad for Australia. They need quick wickets now. I dont know what is wrong with their bowlers. May be its taking them long to adjust to the conditions or it could be that the Indian batsmen are just too good.

No reverse swing for the Aussies again. They showed the ball used by the Aussies, and it was roughed up both sides which makes reverse swing very tough to come. And they dont have variety with no good spinner.

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

VVS gets hus century! Great innings from him.
praise.gif

Awesome hundred there by Laxman! And its against his 'bunnies' Australia!:p

I guess Gambhir cant get to his 200 before lunch. But his innings is just....... WOW!

Some people call Watson a dick on the field but as soon as stumps was called Watson sprinted over and shaked Gambhir's hand to congratulate him on a well played innings.
I see. So you can abuse someone as much as you want as long as you come back at the end (provided they're still out there) and say, "Good job!" Sounds mighty silly to me, and quite a cop-out for bowling pathetically, spattering your words and still being unable to make any positive impact in the series.

India wins the morning session comprehensively... total domination by us! Great knock from VVS and Gautam.:cheers
Now they'll look forward to accelerate and pile up more runs. Go India!:)

One thing is for sure, if Watson had've done to Gambhir what Gambhir did to Watson then Gambhir would've been lying on his back unconscious.
One thing is for sure. That really has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

sohummisra added 3 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

But the last thing we should want to see in cricket games is the batsman going outside his personal space like Gambhir did here. Even if he is provoked, tough luck - they need to stop this kind of rubbish before it starts to escalate. I hope they have a stiff word to Watson, and fine Gambhir just to make sure other batsmen don't get any ideas - this is something we should be discouraging people, lets not make Gambhir out as the victim.
I completely agree with this, except I feel that Watson should be fined some amount as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Gambhir fined 60-80% of his match fee since physical contact has no place in the game of cricket. However, Watson should be sent a strong message that his behavior is absolutely inappropriate and he should think more about his lack of talent, instead of abusing the Indian batsmen over and over again. This must be done with a warning and a fine, and followed up with a suspension if he doesn't cool his hothead.

Oh and lets see more Katich today please Ricky. It's totally obvious the tactics. He bowls the fast men until we are so behind the over rate that we need to bowl spin to catch up. India cash in on an easy hour of batting due to their tameness and suddenly the score is out of hand. They merely have to outlast the quicks and that looks easy with this group and on this pitch, no movement from our lads. But I bet Zaheer and Ishant get the ball talking straight away. Damn SG balls...
I'm not sure you would call those "tactics". It sounds rather silly to me, especially since the pace bowlers have been kept at bay pretty easily. Ponting is, quite simply, not willing to change anything up.

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Ideally we had Bryce McGain ready to go and his basically a similar type of bowler to Amit Mishra. It's a shame he got injured because Mishra took a 5fer in the last Test. What could have been....
Keep in mind that the best leg-spinner of the world was largely useless in India against India. Since Warne is >> McGain, I'd expect maybe 2-3 wickets maximum from McGain. However, he'd probably have kept the runs down a lot more.

sohummisra added 6 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Watson charged with a Level 1 Code of Conduct offense, and Gambhir with a Level 2 Code of Conduct offense. Level 1 carries an upto 50% fine and Level 2 carries 50% or greater fine as well as the possibility of a 1-test ban. I hope Gambhir gets charged 100% of his match-fee and Watson 50% of his match-fee.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this, except I feel that Watson should be fined some amount as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Gambhir fined 60-80% of his match fee since physical contact has no place in the game of cricket. However, Watson should be sent a strong message that his behavior is absolutely inappropriate and he should think more about his lack of talent, instead of abusing the Indian batsmen over and over again. This must be done with a warning and a fine, and followed up with a suspension if he doesn't cool his hothead.

I'm not sure you would call those "tactics". It sounds rather silly to me, especially since the pace bowlers have been kept at bay pretty easily. Ponting is, quite simply, not willing to change anything up.

Yes Watson reacted badly and was frustrated, perhaps he could be fined under the laws. But if Gambhir hadn't retaliated, I don't think he'd be up for a fine - it would be merely done to show they were trying to be fair. That's not my opinion, both of them are tools IMO and should be given a big smack :)

Edit: Saw the charges you posted. Watson level 1, Gambhir level 2. I think that's a good decision.

As for Watson's lack of talent and Ponting bowling him a fair bit: It merely shows how badly Ponting rates the current spinners. Watson would bowl 5-10 overs tops if Warne were still here. Without him, Watson must bowl more. He's never moved the ball much ,apart from the reverse he got in the first test ( nearly fell off my chair watching that by the way...Watson?? Swinging it??). But Watson has bowled economically and he at least managed to create a great chance on Gambhir yesterday as I mentioned. I think he's done his job (considering he bats in the top 6), which is more than I can say for the rest of the Aussie attack.

And Ponting really has no tactical choice with the attack he's got. Yes it seems lame watching it, but he has no threatening spinner and his pacers can't move the ball. What else can he do but tell them he believes in them and keep bowling them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread