Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

My main point is Australia would rather have the Ashes in their cabinet than the Border-Gavaskar trophy. Just because the Ashes haven't been close doesn't mean they aren't important or that they aren't our biggest rivalry.
By Australia do you mean you or do you mean the players? I never said the Ashes aren't important and that they aren't the biggest rivalry. In terms of competition in cricket, though, India-Australia is far ahead in terms of rivalry, and the results point to that.

Towards the end of the 90s, early 2000s you could have argued that the Ashes had lost their meaning, but I think that 2005 proved that England can beat Australia and it breathed live back into the rivalry which instantly gave it credibility again. IMO the Indians are BECOMING great rivals, but England have been our main rivals for 130 years and it would take many continued close series against India to make them a great rival. That may be unfair, but history dictates rivalries, not how close your last couple of series have been.
The 2005 series seems to serve as an anomaly rather than a revolution. The last four Ashes clearly describe this. England has been absolutely thrashed in 3 of the 4, and they won one by the skin of their teeth. Compare this to India and Australia, who've had hard-fought series through this decade. How many "continued close series against India" does it take to make them a great rival?

Or perhaps think about this hypothetical situation: When are the selectors more likely to ring Shane Warne for help? Is it when India leads us 1-0 or when England leads us 1-0? India is an important series, but until England gets smashed for the next 3 Ashes they deserve the top billing IMO.
There are many other factors here. Calling Shane Warne up when down against India will not do any good because he has been largely unsuccessful against us.

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Oh come on! I am hoping for a repeat of the 2001 series classic!!! I guess the tour will go on. Getting assurance from India is more easier, and the Aussies will tour India for the money.
Well they should definitely re-evaluate it if there is a realistic security risk.

the little respect I have for aussie players is gone.

I had my thoughts but now I am 100% convinced they did not want to tour Pakistan as it interefered with their participating in the IPL.

Money talks, and Cricket Australia or any Aussie player does not have the balls to tell BCCI it will not show up.

shame on you Aussies.

Who cares on you :rolleyes: why don't you stop your crap and talk sense

Johnson will not be dropped. I would like him to, but the selectors will not drop him, because they are to blind to see Bollinger and Noffke on the fringes, so they persist with Johnson's rubbish. I am getting fed up with some of the Aussie selectors decisions these days. :mad:

Obviously you aren't too farmilar with how difficult it is for genuine spin-bowlers to have success on Australian surfaces.

Look at Murali's record in Australia, averages like 60 runs per wicket or something. The great Shane Warne averaged 34 in Australian domestic first-class cricket in Australia.

Nathan Hauritz averages over 50 in First-Class Cricket but in his 1 and only Test match that was played in spinner friendly conditions, he took 5 wickets and ended up with an average of 20.

The majority of Australian spinners would have first-class averages hovering around 25 if they bowled in spinner friendly conditions, just like many subcontient spinners have superb looking first-class records.

You gotta realise that these guys are playing in the worst possible conditions for spin bowlers and are playing in probably the most competitive domestic competition in the world.

ya....but tht also means our pacers would havea much much better record playing in conditions that are helpful to fast bolwers,most of them would have averages in the low 20s.

The Pakistan Cricket Board on Monday lashed out at Cricket Australia for saying yes to India tour despite Saturday's bomb blasts in New Delhi and accused them of adopting 'double standard' on security issues.

nikhil_99 added 5 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

India need the experience of Sourav Ganguly for the series against Australia, former cricketer Mohinder Amarnath said on Monday.
But for that he must also perform,i feel that this tour and upcoming England tour could ecide his future.

Johnson will not be dropped. I would like him to, but the selectors will not drop him, because they are to blind to see Bollinger and Noffke on the fringes, so they persist with Johnson's rubbish. I am getting fed up with some of the Aussie selectors decisions these days. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. Leaving out David Hussey!?1 He better be injured or I suggest the Aussie selectors actually watch domestic cricket :rolleyes:

Mitchell Johnson is always a riskey choice though. He's either having a great match, or a bad one. But that's the great thing about Johnson... when he is on fire, he is on fire. He rips apart the batting line up with ease. Noffke is kind of the same in my opinion. Hit or miss, if they choose Ashley Noffke at such a high level he probably won't go too far as he won't step out of his comfort zone which I hate and the Australian Squad selector probably see this as well. Noffke should probably just stay at Domestic level where there isn't as much 'flare'. Where he is comfortable.

Mitchell Johnson is always a riskey choice though. He's either having a great match, or a bad one. But that's the great thing about Johnson... when he is on fire, he is on fire. He rips apart the batting line up with ease. Noffke is kind of the same in my opinion. Hit or miss, if they choose Ashley Noffke at such a high level he probably won't go too far as he won't step out of his comfort zone which I hate and the Australian Squad selector probably see this as well. Noffke should probably just stay at Domestic level where there isn't as much 'flare'. Where he is comfortable.

Stats say Johnson is a fantastic bowling. Watching the games show he is a tailender bully. Whenever he gets 4 wickets 3 of them are tailenders.

Noffke had a fantastic season last year and the year before. There was no real on and off for him. He was in the top 10 batters and top 5 bowlers.

The Pakistan Cricket Board on Monday lashed out at Cricket Australia for saying yes to India tour despite Saturday's bomb blasts in New Delhi and accused them of adopting 'double standard' on security issues.

nikhil_99 added 5 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

India need the experience of Sourav Ganguly for the series against Australia, former cricketer Mohinder Amarnath said on Monday.
But for that he must also perform,i feel that this tour and upcoming England tour could ecide his future.

Bombing is Pakistan is now normal and adapted by their countrymen. In India these days bombing are taking palces but security is much more tightened than Pakistan.

Well, yours are better than ours, definitely.

As for the Pakistan Board lashing out the CA, it's ridiculous - In pakistan, bombings happen every day. The Dehli bombings were a rare incident, and the levels of terrorism in Pakistan is dramatically higher than India.

Bombing is Pakistan is now normal and adapted by their countrymen. In India these days bombing are taking palces but security is much more tightened than Pakistan.

True,and only Pakistani people do bombings here in India,their ISI and other "jihadi org".

Couldn't agree more. Leaving out David Hussey!?1 He better be injured or I suggest the Aussie selectors actually watch domestic cricket :rolleyes:

He just played for the A team so hes certainly not injured!

Noffke is no where near hit or miss. Hes an accurate bowler unlike Johnson who is an everywhere bowler. The problem for Noffke is how threatening he is in overseas conditions. During the tour matches against India A he struggled although it was only 1 match. He also didn't look threatening during the IPL. Bollinger on the other hand ticks all the right boxes. Leading wicket taker in domestic cricket and going great guns during the A's tour.

When is it all starting? Can someone (or Sid, the thread starter) post the fixtures and dates in the first post?

When the series in in Indian sub continent,normally matches are shown on DD1/DD sports or Neo Sports,normally it is DD1 only.

nikhil_99 added 30 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Gilly says he would pay to watch Dhoni's batting,big compliment from Gilly to Dhoni,both dashing Wicket keepers for their respective teams.

Users who are viewing this thread