Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

When is the indian squad being released (as in the 12-13 hopefuls for the first test)?

I guess we have a different thread for the serial blasts discussion.

I read this article y'day on the pitches for this series
http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/3491334.cms

Looks like this time round, the Indian captain will not have to sweat on the condition of the Nagpur pitch...:p I am not happy with the selection of the grounds for this series. We cant say anything about Bangalore. Delhi most probably will be a batsman's paradise with low and slow wicket. Mohali will be a good one with true bounce. Nagpur, as they say, is going to have OK bounce and will have lot of encouragement for spinners.

Also, an India-Australia test in either Eden Gardens or Chennai (the tied test, and the 2001 classic) would have been really great.

Last edited:
Also, an India-Australia test in either Eden Gardens or Chennai (the tied test, and the 2001 classic) would have been really great.
Chennai, sure. Kolkata, no way in hell. Any ground which supports the opponents versus the home team just because the local-boy is not playing, and in that manner, should be ignored when it comes to scheduling big matches.

On bowling, I feel we're better. If Lee is fast, then Ishant Sharma is almost equally fast enough, added to his height factor. Zaheer is as experienced enough as Lee, and can bowl close to the consistency of Clark. If these two are fit and play all test matches along with Harbhajan and Kumble, our bowling attack beats yours. Plus we have backup options in RP Singh, Sreesanth and Irfan Pathan all of whom have played against Australia (Sree played the ODI's though).
Stuart Clark and Brett Lee are currently up there with the best 5 bowlers in the world at the moment so I wouldn't rate Zaheer or Ishant near them.

I remember that Nagpur pitch that they all moaned about, it was not actually green, the grass was dead. It was just the only pitch that didn't have all the grass removed.

It'll be interesting to see whether the pitches turn out as expected. I did say earlier it was a selection of grounds that could be much more conducive to an Australian win than if the tour included grounds like Wankhede or Eden Gardens;

Ind win/draw/Aus win
Bangalore: 0-1-2
Mohali: 0-0-0
Delhi: 2-2-1
Nagpur: 0-0-1

Not a lot of data, but the most interesting one might be Feroz Shah Kotla; the Indian capital is one of their chief fortresses and if the relaying has tuned conditions toward pace bowling, it could be a very unusual tour of India.

Stuart Clark and Brett Lee are currently up there with the best 5 bowlers in the world at the moment so I wouldn't rate Zaheer or Ishant near them.

I agree. You can't rate Ishant and Zaheer at Lee's level at all. Lee is at a completely different level. Also Ishant has proven himself against Aussies but he still needs time. Plus his pace has dipped ever since Australia and Lee consistently bowls faster than 145kph. I have to admit though, Zaheer definitely found his groove back in Sri lanka and if he can carry that over to this series he'll be our main brekthrough bowler. Plus he knows how to bowl on subcontinent pitches and Ishant well...you saw what happened to him during Asia cup!

I agree. You can't rate Ishant and Zaheer at Lee's level at all. Lee is at a completely different level. Also Ishant has proven himself against Aussies but he still needs time. Plus his pace has dipped ever since Australia and Lee consistently bowls faster than 145kph. I have to admit though, Zaheer definitely found his groove back in Sri lanka and if he can carry that over to this series he'll be our main brekthrough bowler. Plus he knows how to bowl on subcontinent pitches and Ishant well...you saw what happened to him during Asia cup!

And you also saw what Ishant did in the 3rd test vs Saf and the test series vs lanka on subcontinent pitches.

TBH, I don't see many Indian pace bowlers taking wickets in this series. Hayden and Ponting will be just too good for Indian to handle.

Ponting :rtfl

He averages 12.5 in 8 Test Matches in India

TBH, I don't see many Indian pace bowlers taking wickets in this series. Hayden and Ponting will be just too good for Indian to handle.

IMO, once Ponting comes in, Harbhajan will be introduced and that will be all it! I dont really see Ponting doing that well in this series (unless he decides to turn things around). Hayden is that big fish. If we get him early, we will put a lot of pressure on your batting lineup, I feel.

Regarding the pacers, if the wickets are helpful, they will certainly do quite some damage. We are not exactly spin reliant these days. Zaheer is back in his groove, and Ishant has shown his potential (he will have his off days too!). If we can have Sreesanth or RP Singh, that will be a good three man attack with Kumble and/or Harbhajan

India-Australia bigger than India-Pakistan :: Sachin Tendulkar
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/370186.html

Quite true! And I also believe that the players want to hype it up even more this time around. If the quality of the cricket is maintained, the rivalry will grow more and more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread