Bangladesh v India - 2 Test Matches, January 2010

Rightly so, the team were awful bar Tendulkar. Doesn't change the fact that they struggled against the worst test nation for large parts of the game. It isn't a great achievement to beat a side that are not yet up to the standard of most test nations, and therefore it makes people look stupid when they react as if it was a brilliant feat.
See, this attitude is exactly what Sehwag exhibited. The "worst test nation", "not yet up to the standard of most test nations", etc. Isn't it kind of hypocritical to take Sehwag to task when you believe the same thing? Or do you agree with Sehwag but just think that he should have kept it to himself (that's what my opinion on the matter is, btw)?

Everyone knows they are not up to the same level as the rest of the test playing nations but I felt, like you said, Sehwag should've either kept it to himself or gone about saying it in a different way. I feel he was arrogant and naive to say that they are not good enough side to take 20 wickets, because I feel they are good enough. However, I don't feel they are good enough to compete in every game. Sehwag will have only fired up the Bangladesh team and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass hard.

Ponting queries Bangladesh Test status

Ricky Ponting has set the cat among the pigeons ahead of Australia's tour to Bangladesh by calling for Bangladesh to be stripped of its Test status. In an interview with London's Daily Telegraph Ponting said: "What I would not have is the minnow nations in the World Cup and the Champions Trophy, and I would not have Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing Tests at present."

:)

But hey, when Sehwag says it, he comes across as an arrogant prick. When Ponting says it, it's called mental disintegration.

Everyone knows they are not up to the same level as the rest of the test playing nations but I felt, like you said, Sehwag should've either kept it to himself or gone about saying it in a different way. I feel he was arrogant and naive to say that they are not good enough side to take 20 wickets, because I feel they are good enough. However, I don't feel they are good enough to compete in every game. Sehwag will have only fired up the Bangladesh team and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass hard.
Good, then we agree. :)

I'm pretty sure Sehwag was talking about averages, and on average I don't think the Bangla attack is good enough to take 20 wickets. In fact, apart from that series against the second string Windies side, Bangladesh in the last 2 years have taken 20 wickets in a match... never. Granted, much of this is because their batting fails to give their bowlers a chance to defend a total most of the time. However, in the few instances that the bowlers have actually put in a splendid performance in the first innings and the batsmen haven't failed, the bowlers fail to follow up with another strong performance.

They have improved by leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, though, and in the event that their top order develops a spine, the bowlers will improve further to be a good second-innings team (especially since they are spin-heavy). At this moment, though, still a work in progress, imo.

Sehwag shouldn't have made those comments in public, or at least he should have sugar-coated them. It's just that he doesn't have that gift of the glib that Dhoni has, or a Kumble or Ganguly had. It's a bit of an overreaction to label the whole team as being arrogant/over-aggressive when even Sachin Tendulkar didn't back him up in the press conference after the first day. And it still doesn't change the fact that Sehwag is a marvelous and unique batsman, which some people are now incorrectly questioning.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Ponting queries Bangladesh Test status

Ricky Ponting has set the cat among the pigeons ahead of Australia's tour to Bangladesh by calling for Bangladesh to be stripped of its Test status. In an interview with London's Daily Telegraph Ponting said: "What I would not have is the minnow nations in the World Cup and the Champions Trophy, and I would not have Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing Tests at present."

:)

But hey, when Sehwag says it, he comes across as an arrogant prick. When Ponting says it, it's called mental disintegration.
The difference is that Ponting gave respect where it was due when Australia survived that game in Bangladesh a couple of years back and lost the ODI in Cardiff. At the very least, Sehwag should have appreciated the fact that the Bangla bowlers got the better of his batting line-up in the first innings.

Ponting is an arrogant prick, he's more of an arrogant prick than Sehwag. Ponting only wants Bangladesh out of the Test and ODI circuit because he's afraid they'll embarass him like they did in 2005.

treva added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

I agree Sohum. And I personally don't question Sehwag's ability, just his personality and professionalism. However, I do feel he is way past his prime and in decline, performance wise. Gautam Gambhir has proved to be an excellent opener and I feel they should find a new partner at the top of the order to accompany him.

decline ?? he almost got a triple century against SL a month back...
and 52 and 45 in this test.

and if Failraj can stay for so long, then sehwag has every right to be in the side.

Suppose if Yuvraj does get dropped, who is the next in line for his spot?

jkartik said:
decline ?? he almost got a triple century against SL a month back...
and 52 and 45 in this test.

and if Failraj can stay for so long, then sehwag has every right to be in the side.

To my surprise he has actually performed quite well of late, but then again it's been against Bangladesh and then against Sri Lanka on the flattest pitches imaginable. Against New Zealand he averaged just 28, and although pitches in New Zealand favour seam bowling, the New Zealand attack is not that much better than Bangladesh's (bar Vettori).

@ Hmarka... Murali Vijay or maybe KKD gets another game in the middle order. Badri's not on tour.

Btw, VVS is out of the series, so I believe KKD is a bit of a surety

^ Yes. Debuted against Australia during Border-Gavaskar India leg 08-09. He's a good batter.

LOL I was reading the "Australia a team hard to love" thread in a different tab and though I was responding to it.

:facepalm

1. Sehwag isn't our regular captain. It's obvious that he doesn't have the political correctness to be a full-time captain. Note that Dhoni is younger than Sehwag, meaning that Sehwag isn't even being groomed as our future captain.

For one,Sehwag had stepped down as the vice captain just a few months ago. Dunoo why wasnt Gautam Gambhir leading as he was the team's vice captain since Sehwag gave up the post.

Lol a schoolboy scored a ton against India, shame on the no. 1 team in the world.

And what do you call a 16 yr old Shahid Afridi who scored the world's fastest ton against SRL ?

Firstly, Indian bowlers call him a schoolboy continuously when he's batting in the middle and they can't even stop him from scoring a hundred, come on why do you guys even sledge when you can't?

This proves how fake Indian team's aggression on the field is, they always like to overdo it.

Are you trying to imply that Sledging and getting out is directly proportional ???

Ponting is an arrogant prick, he's more of an arrogant prick than Sehwag. Ponting only wants Bangladesh out of the Test and ODI circuit because he's afraid they'll embarass him like they did in 2005.

Ponting is right. Have a two tier test system. I wonder how can the ICC allow a contry that has been playing for a decade to not to have won even a single test till date [bar their wins against second strin ZIM and WIN

Why are you bringing ODI's into this? Any team can win an ODI on it's day. Ireland, and Bangladesh did it in the WC. But in Test's you have to play well for five days, and Bangladesh did that, and put up more than a fight against India.

But why was it a batting failure? Because you guys tried to play with arrogance, and gave your wickets away. India under estimated Bangladesh and it nearly backfired on them.

They scored the same runs as you guys in the first innings. How is that not playing eye to eye for that duration of the match? (Ala the first three days...)

Had Bangla played well for all 5 days they would have won the test. Unfortunately they did not and thus lost the test.
Why was it a batting failure ?
Again,just by looking at one innings,one need not comment. I suggest you to go back to the recently concluded SRL Test Series where India were 32/4 but came back strongly. I dont think any thing back fired on us,cause we won the match.
Test Matches span over 5 days and each side gets a chance to bat twice.

Its still not eye to eye.:p

And I personally don't question Sehwag's ability, just his personality and professionalism. However, I do feel he is way past his prime and in decline, performance wise.
I'd be inclined to say that Sehwag is in his prime right now.

sohum added 2 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Is Vijay the guy who opened the batting recently? He certainly would be more useful then Failraj
Couldn't agree more. I think Yuvi is taking up a valuable spot in the Test line-up just because he's a good ODI bat. We should have blooded the likes of Badrinath by now--he'd be an ideal slot in the middle order.

Users who are viewing this thread