Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

This game reminds me so much of England's 2002 WC opener vs Sweden. Edgy performance.

Will be interesting to see what Capello does wiht Green for the next game. He was going so well throughout qualifiying, putting to rest slightly the mistake Paul Robinson made in Zagreb. Stres..

I hope King being taken off @ half-time isn't a sign that his injury woes came up again. But rather as a sign of Capello trying to manage him as the tournament progresses. Since King Ledley didn't do anything noticeably wrong in the 1st half to me.

Same thing with Milner. I guess Capello took him off so early because of yellow card he got. But it cold be also because that he isn't 100% recovered from his mid-week illness.

SWP had a poor game. Kept losing the ball. Really shouldn't be in this team.

Lampard was a bit anonymous. Definately looking forward to Barry coming back to balance back the midfield.

Can someone please explain to an ignorant git like me what the hell Capello's instructions to Rooney were? Totally out of position and getting in the way of midfield as I saw it. A very lumbering, uninventive performance by England. As always when they score very quickly they struggle to stay in the game and play to a plan. Does not look very promising. A team like Italy or Brazil would have murdered us tonight. Well done to Usa. With restricted resources they did what England couldnt; play to a plan.

USA played with 2 deep central midfielders and their defence sat back when England attacked. England were able to dominate the midfield but it meant that there wasn't any way through into the box other than crosses. No England player possesses excellent crossing ability, and no one got a clean head at goal. England wasted excellent chances though. Lennon should've scored early on, Heskey should've scored, and SWP had an excellent chance which he hit straight at the keeper. Whilst Green made a shocking error, England wasted great chances and payed for it later on.

Well, that mistake by Green was Scott Carson-esque. The good thing is he has been proven to be a solid keeper in the past, so he should hopefully recover from this. As to whether he should be picked for the next game, the answer is no. You cannot make a mistake like that in the World Cup and knowing Capello's capacity to show a ruthless streak, I cannot see him between the sticks for the next game.

Still, it's not a complete disaster. This is a quote from Yahoo:

But the USA, who deserved their point, stood firm while England remained frustrated - although an opening game slip-up is hardly terminal news: back in 1966, Alf Ramsey's side drew 0-0 with Uruguay in their first game before going on to lift the trophy

Now, while I don't agree that the USA deserved their point - they barely had a shot on target all night, other than the Rob Green debacle, that quote shows that we shouldn't overreact to this result. England nearly always draw their first game of an International tournament. We drew the first one in 1990 and reached the semis and we drew the first one four years ago as well, and reached the quarters - as well as the 0-0 that started the 1966 campaign. It's sort of traditional for England to start slowly, it seems. :laugh

Carragher was shown up for me, and he'll come up against faster players than the USA striker he was up against. Crouch was bought on far too late to do anything and I think we need to go with a different strike paring. While it is true that Heskey's workrate was good and enables Rooney to get on with the business of scoring goals, I think we'd be better served with two strikers who know how to put the thing in the net. Had Heskey's chance fallen to Rooney, we'd be talking about a 2-1 win tonight. Rooney + Defoe for me (can't remember if Defoe's in the squad or not?)

Now, we go into the next game knowing we need to win. That's not really a bad thing: England are at their best when they need to win, as demonstrated by the superb performances against the Germans in 1990, the Germans again in 1996, the Argentines in 1998, the Portuguese in 2004 and the Portuguese again in 2006. England rarely shine in the group stages, because there is some room for error - well, now there isn't so let's see the sparks fly against Algeria!

Come on, England!

Edit: Damn shame Scholes wasn't in the squad - his guile and ability to unlock a defence was sorely lacking tonight.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Bring back David Seaman...

Jamie Theakston. He was immense against the Rest of The World team (celeb. charity match)! :laugh :laugh :laugh

Seriously though, he was damn good...

MasterBlaster76 added 4 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Wow that was gay and a waste of my Saturday afternoon. Done with the World Cup now, unless USA advance.

Back to the SA test :)

I thought you were supporting the Yanks primarily?

England are really poor at World Cup Levels....

Don't write England off yet. I have seen them start slowly many, many times, and then go on to chalk up another 'oh-so-near'. Remember, people: we didn't lose. Two wins from the last two games should still see us top the group and as I said before, England are at their best when there is little room for error.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

USA played with 2 deep central midfielders and their defence sat back when England attacked. England were able to dominate the midfield but it meant that there wasn't any way through into the box other than crosses. No England player possesses excellent crossing ability, and no one got a clean head at goal. England wasted excellent chances though. Lennon should've scored early on, Heskey should've scored, and SWP had an excellent chance which he hit straight at the keeper. Whilst Green made a shocking error, England wasted great chances and payed for it later on.

SWP should've put his foot through the ball, as I said to my mate about two seconds before Keegan said the same thing in the studio. At that range, you don't try to curl it. You're right about the crosses. One thing: why the hell wasn't Joe Cole playing? He is one player we have who has a bit of midfield guile about him. King is worrying me - how the hell can you have a player in the squad who has actually said he finds it hard to play consecutive games?

than the USA striker he was up against. Crouch was bought on far too late to do anything and I think we need to go with a different strike paring. While it is true that Heskey's workrate was good and enables Rooney to get on with the business of scoring goals, I think we'd be better served with two strikers who know how to put the thing in the net. Had Heskey's chance fallen to Rooney, we'd be talking about a 2-1 win tonight. Rooney + Defoe for me (can't remember if Defoe's in the squad or not?)

Capello has said before that he likes his forwards to be a "reference point" for attacks. With Crouch there is a lack of movement at times. Defoe is not well rounded enough for Capello's liking I think. He may be a lethal finisher but he is one of those "goalpoacher" type of players, similar to Owen. This role seems to be dying out in the bigger teams. Players like Owen struggle to make an impact even when they're only so young. Defoe lacks movement and it means that he becomes the main target for attacks. Heskey moves well, links the ball well and allows England to get into good positions for attacking plays.

Dr. Pepper added 4 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

SWP should've put his foot through the ball, as I said to my mate about two seconds before Keegan said the same thing in the studio. At that range, you don't try to curl it. You're right about the crosses. One thing: why the hell wasn't Joe Cole playing? He is one player we have who has a bit of midfield guile about him. King is worrying me - how the hell can you have a player in the squad who has actually said he finds it hard to play consecutive games?

I can understand the advantages for SWP coming on instead of Cole. He offers a more direct outlet to goal, using his pace and acceleration and cutting inside to his stronger foot. With Heskey's movement away from goal at times, SWP cutting side was a good idea. Cutting inside means he wouldn't get that many crosses in as a genuine winger, so therefore Cole (who is technically better than them all) wasn't brought on.

Carragher was shown up for me, and he'll come up against faster players than the USA striker he was up against.

True. But then again thats sort of the same problem Terry would have too if he comes up againts a pacy striker. Carragher will be good in other situations, so we cant do much their.

Crouch was bought on far too late to do anything and I think we need to go with a different strike paring. While it is true that Heskey's workrate was good and enables Rooney to get on with the business of scoring goals, I think we'd be better served with two strikers who know how to put the thing in the net. Had Heskey's chance fallen to Rooney, we'd be talking about a 2-1 win tonight. Rooney + Defoe for me (can't remember if Defoe's in the squad or not?)

Yea i'm starting to agree with this. Palying the pacy Defoe next to run or Rooney on his own may be the way to go. I was cringing at the end @ the amount long balls that were being played. Instead of the guys trying to pass it around.

But then again maybe for this game Capello probably got it right. Since i dont know how Rooney would have coped, having to battle with the big strong Onyewu for 90 minutes if he played as a lone striker.

Edit: Damn shame Scholes wasn't in the squad - his guile and ability to unlock a defence was sorely lacking tonight.

Oh ye, that ability was missing with Gerrard & Lamps clearly told to sit a bit deeper by Capello for this game.

King is worrying me - how the hell can you have a player in the squad who has actually said he finds it hard to play consecutive games?

Well he proved in the back end of the premiership that he can play consecutive games. Plus according to BBC, its an abductoral tear instead of his knees which usually resticts him from playing consecutive games.

I thought James was the keeper of England.

I've never heard of the name Green before. I don't even know for which team he plays. Now I understand why. Nevertheless he made one good save.

Algeria or Slovenia should benefit from this draw and win their match.

I can understand the advantages for SWP coming on instead of Cole. He offers a more direct outlet to goal, using his pace and acceleration and cutting inside to his stronger foot. With Heskey's movement away from goal at times, SWP cutting side was a good idea. Cutting inside means he wouldn't get that many crosses in as a genuine winger, so therefore Cole (who is technically better than them all) wasn't brought on.

That maybe SWPs strenght. But he kept losing the ball when he attempted to cut in & beat players & he didn't. If Green didn't have that howler, SWP was the worse player on the pitch.

I love Capello. But of the 23-man squad, i cant see why he picked SWP. Even if Waclott hasn't improved to level Capello wanted this season for Gunners. SWP was consistently on the bench for Man City.

I thought James was the keeper of England.

I've never heard of the name Green before. I don't even know for which team he plays. Now I understand why. Nevertheless he made one good save.

Algeria or Slovenia should benefit from this draw and win their match.

James is known as 'Calamity James' - due to the many howlers he's had with both England and various club teams. Rob Green plays for West Ham and he is a good, solid keeper - tonight's mistake was a complete abberation, but I wouldn't play him in the next game - it's too important and his confidence will be badly shaken as his mistake cost us two points.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

That maybe SWPs strenght. But he kept losing the ball when he attempted to cut in & beat players & he didn't. If Green didn't have that howler, SWP was the worse player on the pitch.

I love Capello. But of the 23-man squad, i cant see why he picked SWP. Even if Waclott hasn't improved to level Capello wanted this season for Gunners. SWP was consistently on the bench for Man City.

I can't understand why Agbonlahor wasn't on the plane.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

This game reminds me so much of England's 2002 WC opener vs Sweden. Edgy performance.

Will be interesting to see what Capello does wiht Green for the next game. He was going so well throughout qualifiying, putting to rest slightly the mistake Paul Robinson made in Zagreb. Stres..

It reminded me of many opening games for England down the years - we just don't start these tournaments well. Last time round, we didn't get going until the quarter finals - I don't think we can afford that this time.

James is known as 'Calamity James' - due to the many howlers he's had with both England and various club teams. Rob Green plays for West Ham and he is a good, solid keeper - tonight's mistake was a complete abberation, but I wouldn't play him in the next game - it's too important and his confidence will be badly shaken as his mistake cost us two points.

I dunno man. Changing keepers in a tournament seems a bit too erratic for me to be honest. I'm willing to back Green for England on the basis this is first time he has done this @ international match & he sort of looked a bit more solid in the second half - made a crucial save.

Damn i'm gald im not Capello.

I can't understand why Agbonlahor wasn't on the plane.

Yea or even Ashley Young who was playing day in day out on the right wing for Villa this season. That was the best man to replace Walcott if Capello want.

It reminded me of many opening games for England down the years - we just don't start these tournaments well. Last time round, we didn't get going until the quarter finals - I don't think we can afford that this time.

Yep. Since after the first round whether we finish 1st or 2nd in this group (preferably 1st). Its no easy games.

Plus as the tournament progressing (injuries & yellow card suspension permitting). I think Master Capello will have to consider playing Rooney up front on his own.

Bit of a reality check for England, but apart from that error by Green it was a decent performance but they did seem to lack urgency.

Capello made some terrible decisions in the match. Subbing Carragher on at CB against a side that play two very quick strikers and a direct style of play isn't exactly a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread