Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Capello took risks with Milner, who had been ill throughout the week, King and Green. It backfired

Ok put the green error to one side, to many big players did not perform even close to the way they should.
Lampard
Gerrard
Rooney, they are supposed to be our star men, gerrard wasnt as bad as lamps or rooney i must admit but rooney was awful, other than the long range shot near the end what else did he do? Normally he looks hungry and up for it, today he didnt look interested at all he wasnt chasing down players or demanding the ball like he normally does, typical example of someone being over hyped before a ball has been kicked and then not living upto it.
We will go no where in this tournament having so many players not performing, this is a reality check for us, now we will see what they are made of.
My heart says we can come back and progress far but my head says a quater final exit is looming.

Well, that mistake by Green was Scott Carson-esque.

I was actually waiting for Green to remove his mask and reveal himself as Carson.

And, yeah, Milner was an injury doubt for the match, so he shouldn't have started imo, if he wasn't 100%.

I wouldn't say USA deserved a point, but England didn't do enough to get all 3 in any case.

I think Capello should stick with Green. Having faith in him might actually give him more confidence. Plus, this was England's hardest group game.

Ok put the green error to one side, to many big players did not perform even close to the way they should.
Lampard
Gerrard
Rooney, they are supposed to be our star men, gerrard wasnt as bad as lamps or rooney i must admit but rooney was awful, other than the long range shot near the end what else did he do? Normally he looks hungry and up for it, today he didnt look interested at all he wasnt chasing down players or demanding the ball like he normally does, typical example of someone being over hyped before a ball has been kicked and then not living upto it.
We will go no where in this tournament having so many players not performing, this is a reality check for us, now we will see what they are made of.
My heart says we can come back and progress far but my head says a quater final exit is looming.

You're criticizing Rooney for not running like a headless chicken? That's ridiculous. A player doesn't need to run like a maniac, positioning and off the ball movement at the right time is much more important that just simply running. Also Heskey's job is to do that. Rooney worked quite well as a decoy though, if that's the right word because the USA centre back (forgotten his name, began with an O) would go straight to Rooney which left a huge amount of space in the defence, which England exploited for the goal, and for the Lennon and Heskey chances. If Rooney got some good support and was played good balls, we'd have seen more from him. The problem stemmed from England wasting possession with Lamps and Gerrard playing poor balls too often, and Cole being unable to get forward.

Not going to read the post-match rants/thoughts of the members in here, I'll just post mine.

Bottom line, we played well and it is a promising start to the tournament. USA rarely threatened us and it was one individual mistake that cost us a win. We looked threatening down the flanks and I thought both Lennon and SWP when he came on looked in good form. We need them running at the full backs as much as possible in this tournament.

Defensively we were pretty sound apart from on a few occasions when we let Donovan get a ball into the box for the likes of Altidore. Terry was excellent and Cole and Johnson had relatively easy games.

Hopefully the knocks for Milner and King don't cause them to miss the next game because the starting XI looked very strong. Even though Heskey missed arguably the best chance of the game (As I predicted/shouted as soon as he broke through on goal) he still created a lot of chances for the team. His pass to set up our goal was superb.

So yeah, not the result we wanted but certainly the performance we were looking for. I don't see us having any problems against Algeria or Slovenia.

Last edited:
Looks like there shouldn't be too many problems for England given this match. They both look terrible.

You're criticizing Rooney for not running like a headless chicken? That's ridiculous. A player doesn't need to run like a maniac, positioning and off the ball movement at the right time is much more important that just simply running. Also Heskey's job is to do that.

Perhaps i didnt get my point across properly, i agree that running round like a lunatic is not what a world class player should be doing and im not critcizing him for that, but the normal rooney does run around alot to places he doesnt need to be just to get involved in the game and try and influence it, he also chases back and gets fired up alot, that is what he does.
And i did not see any of that from him yesterday, him and beckham are normally the only players who seem like they would die for the cause.

Last edited:
I thought USA deserved a point. They defended well and almost won it with altidore.

More like we didn't have our finishing boots on. If we had, we made enough chances to win 3-1 or something like that. The US barely had a shot on target - they didn't deserve a point for me. The only reason the US got a point was a goalkeeping howler - their attacking prowess, or lack of it, didn't warrant anything.

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Perhaps i didnt get my point across properly, i agree that running round like a lunatic is not what a world class player should be doing and im not critcizing him for that, but the normal rooney does run around alot to places he doesnt need to be just to get involved in the game and try and influence it, he also chases back and gets fired up alotthat is what he does.
And i did not see any of that from him yesterday, him and beckham are normally the only players who seem like they would die for the cause.

No - Rooney didn't seem his usual self, but having said that, he almost won it with a moment of sheer brilliance.

How does the points system work? How many did England get ? Is it really as subjective as you guys are making it out to be?

How does the points system work? How many did England get ? Is it really as subjective as you guys are making it out to be?

3 for a win
1 for a draw
0 for a loss

England and USA got 1 each.

No.

Last edited:
Perhaps i didnt get my point across properly, i agree that running round like a lunatic is not what a world class player should be doing and im not critcizing him for that, but the normal rooney does run around alot to places he doesnt need to be just to get involved in the game and try and influence it, he also chases back and gets fired up alotthat is what he does.

Fair enough, I got the wrong point from your post. You have to remember though, it's Fabio who decides how he's going to play and I'm guessing he doesn't want Rooney chasing back etc. Heskey seemed to perform that job very well yesterday. It's Heskey's job to wear the defenders, find space for others to work in and link up play. Rooney received little to none supply though, like I posted earlier. If he received some good balls maybe he'd have been able to finish them.

I hope the England players all get behind Green....

..............that way we might stop the ball going in the back of the bloody net!!:laugh:p

I know i'm late on this but:

AMERICA - KICKING ENGLAND'S ASS SINCE 1776
attachment.php

:banana2

And we don't even care about the sport!

Attachments

• Screen capture 1.png
    Screen capture 1.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 32
It was a draw. In a game where we had more shots on target, more possession and better passing. I fail to see how we had our 'asses kicked'.

Look at that bunch of twats - you'd think they'd just won 3-0, instead of scraped an extremely lucky 1-1 draw. Well, now that Slovenia have won their game, I think it's going to come down to who can score the most goals vs Slovenia and Algeria - I can see the USA winning both games, as well as England - I'd back England every single time.

Users who are viewing this thread