Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Ledley King isn't definitely out for 3 weeks. Hopefully he'll return for the important matches. Carragher is certainly an accomplished replacement though.

Fabio was on the BBC earlier, saying that the ball is the worst the team has ever played with - and he's not the sort of person to go crying about something, unless there's a lot of truth to it. Yes, Germany seem to have no trouble with it, but they've had it for six months apparently. Coincidence? Unlikely. Unfair? Definitely.

Edit: In the BBC's 'choose audio' option, there should be an option to filter out the sodding vuvuzelas! I know - impossible, but still. There is no atmosphere at these games: you could just as easily be inside a beehive, or on the M25 at rush hour. No vocal competition between rival fans - the one thing that is essential for a great atmosphere, and no 'twelfth man' - how can the team tell who the vuvuzelas are blowing for? Footballers don't speak vuvuzela.

@Hmarka - You'd have to get in line - I want first crack at the idiot who didn't ban these damn things, after hearing how they ruined the atmosphere at the Confederations Cup! It's at every game as well - why do they have to have them at games that have nothing to do with African teams? Yes, the World Cup is being held in SA (for the last time, hopefully), but it's not just about them - it's about all the teams! I don't have a problem with the vuvuzela itself, but the fact that they do nothing but blow it - on one sodding note - for the whole game, instead of chanting/singing as well is ruining my enjoyment of the World Cup - and it only comes round every four years! When it's all said and done, what will we remember this World Cup for? From my point of view, unless England win it, all I'll remember is the damn vuvuzela - I just hope it doesn't catch on here!

Last edited:
@Hmarka - You'd have to get in line - I want first crack at the idiot who didn't ban these damn things, after hearing how they ruined the atmosphere at the Confederations Cup! It's at every game as well - why do they have to have them at games that have nothing to do with African teams? Yes, the World Cup is being held in SA (for the last time, hopefully), but it's not just about them - it's about all the teams! I don't have a problem with the vuvuzela itself, but the fact that they do nothing but blow it - on one sodding note - for the whole game, instead of chanting/singing as well is ruining my enjoyment of the World Cup - and it only comes round every four years! When it's all said and done, what will we remember this World Cup for? From my point of view, unless England win it, all I'll remember is the damn vuvuzela - I just hope it doesn't catch on here!

I don't think you'll be too happy about this then...

The vevuzelas haven't bothered me in the slightest, don't understand why people are getting so worked up about them. Maybe the only reason we are noticing them is because the football is so bad. I'd tell the teams to be more adventurous rather than complaining about the fans.

I don't think you'll be too happy about this then...

:doh :facepalm

Hopefully, they'll be used like airhorns - mixed in with chanting and singing. As I said before, if it was used like that, it would be fine!

The vevuzelas haven't bothered me in the slightest, don't understand why people are getting so worked up about them. Maybe the only reason we are noticing them is because the football is so bad. I'd tell the teams to be more adventurous rather than complaining about the fans.

People are getting worked up about them because they're killing any chance of a proper football atmosphere. Lucky you not being bothered by them - you're most likely in the minority.

As well as that, they're affecting how the players communicate - if that's not a reason to get rid of them, I don't know what is! Trust Fifa not to heed the warning at the Confederations Cup.

World Cup 2010: Vuvuzelas force Danes to use sign language - ESPN Soccernet
The Danish keeper is no stranger to loud atmospheres as he plays in the English Premier League for Stoke City. "When you play in England you are used to the good atmosphere and the people singing, but this is just a constant noise.

"It's obviously part of the tradition here, but I prefer people singing," he said.

Exactly - constant noise - annoying noise at that.

Last edited:
Yes but we aren't in the stadium, so there's not an actual atmosphere in your home anyway.

Mate, when a game has a rocking atmosphere, it filters through to my home no problem, thanks.

Edit: How dare you - my home has a great atmosphere! :laugh

Edit: The football has been poor overall though - is that caused by the altitude? The ball? The vuvuzelas? Who knows...

From dictionary.com:

a surrounding or pervading mood, environment, or influence

The noise does not surround us nor are we in the enviroment. In my opinion atmosphere is only available when you are at an event live.

Anyway, let's get back to the football/get into the Group A thread (3-0 now)

Quickly before you get back ontopic. I honestly tried watching a few games to see what its all about, its just too boring. Nothing ever happens, about 10-15 minutes of action per match.

This coming from someone whose favorite sport is Test cricket :laugh

Quickly before you get back ontopic. I honestly tried watching a few games to see what its all about, its just too boring. Nothing ever happens, about 10-15 minutes of action per match.

This coming from someone whose favorite sport is Test cricket :laugh

But you see the whole fun of football is to moan and scream about what he (the player, the coach, the ref etcetera) should have done or should not have done.:)

At first they sounded annoying but after a few games I just got used to it. Don't even notice the Vuvuzelas now tbh.

Didn't England have a chance to play with the "jabulani" in the Premiership this season just gone?

From dictionary.com:

The noise does not surround us nor are we in the enviroment. In my opinion atmosphere is only available when you are at an event live.

Anyway, let's get back to the football/get into the Group A thread (3-0 now)

OK back on topic, but one last word on that: Ever watched football in a pub? That's not being at a live event, yet there's certainly an atmosphere.
Let's just say that I prefer hearing the sound of all the different varied chants of each nation, rather than one constant sound all the time. :)

But you see the whole fun of football is to moan and scream about what he (the player, the coach, the ref etcetera) should have done or should not have done.:)

Indeed! :laugh

At first they sounded annoying but after a few games I just got used to it. Don't even notice the Vuvuzelas now tbh.

Didn't England have a chance to play with the "jabulani" in the Premiership this season just gone?

Well, if that's the case, then it's a bit of an own goal. :facepalm

This coming from someone whose favorite sport is Test cricket

I agree. Pretty awful World Cup so far barely been any good games which isn't a good advert for the game in places such as USA.

One of the major reason for this has been that the balls are obviously not very good; nearly every single team has complained bar the Germans who've had a long time practising with them. You can't shoot from difference let alone play a long ball with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread