ICCCT2006: Group A

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ZoraxDoom said:
My XI for tommorow. 3 good spin options, and two tidy seamers. But seeing it is at Mohali, a pacy, bouncy wicket, Pathan might do better than Powar. Tough choice. Pathan in form is lethal, and this kinda pitch suits him. Powar is good, but will he be effective on this wicket, and is 3 spinners + Viru + Sachin too much? Sachin most likely will be unable to bowl medium pace. But if he can, this balance may seem fine.
So, it all rests on Sachin's bowling :p If he is willing to toss down around 5 overs of accurate medium stuff, we can play two full spinners and Mongia. Otherwise, we may need Irfan back (Definately NOT RP!) and use Viru/Sachin a bit if we need spin.
Hmm, looks like India would do well with a batsman who can bowl a bit of seam up. *cough* Ganguly *cough*

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Oopsy! Yuvi goes out.. What a shame!!! Damn, this happens to us now! He is a big match player!

Anyways, now my team has changed

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. MS Dhoni
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Md Kaif
6. Dinesh Mongia
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Ramesh Powar
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel

India most probably will go in with 5 bowlers. And personally, I dont think they will play on the same pitch where SA humiliated Pakistan for 89. I think since we are the host nation, the wicket's grass would be shaved off.

Sreesanth replaces Agarkar now, its official! So waiting for a real good game tomorrow! Win or lose, we need to fight till the end tomorrow. It wont be a shame if we lose fighting! Even though we will be criticised, a fighting spirit should be shown till the very end tomorrow! Its the biggest match of the tournament and it has become a knockout! The atmosphere should be electric tomorrow and Mohali should be filled to the brim (may be spectators on roofs and trees!).

MUFC1987 said:
Hmm, looks like India would do well with a batsman who can bowl a bit of seam up. *cough* Ganguly *cough*

Until he scores in domestic cricket, no one is going to bring him back! He is running out of chances now! With Yuvraj Singh highly doubtful for the SA tour and only the first part of the team (ODI team) being picked on Oct 30th, Ganguly has to score big runs if he has to be selected for the test series in SA. On Nov 4th, he has a game against North Zone and probably one more game before the test team is picked!

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Lol :D
He'd be a good addittion, no doubt. Would be useful in the powerplays too. But, sadly, the BCCI won't call him back. i don't blaim them too much, is form has been shot to pieces with the bat, but his bowling hasn't been too bad in the last few matches...
@Sai: Your lineup is fine, but what if our top order fails? Raina's poor form doesn't help here. He and Pathan both have been poor with the bat. 5 bowlers, or 4 and Mongia?? Another tricky decision there! Whoo boy, don't wanna be Dravid or Chappell at this point...

James_W

Club Cricketer
evertonfan said:
Because that's how it's commonly spelled in England perhaps?

There's no 'i' in the English one, the 'i' gives it the South African sound.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
James_W said:
There's no 'i' in the English one, the 'i' gives it the South African sound.
And, suprise suprise, KP is from South Africa!
So, it makes sense it should be Kevin Pietersen.

James_W

Club Cricketer
ZoraxDoom said:
And, suprise suprise, KP is from South Africa!
So, it makes sense it should be Kevin Pietersen.

Evertonfan said Pieterson was the English spelling. I nitpicked on the 'i'. Of course I know how to spell Pietersen, and obviously I know he is South African.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
James_W said:
Evertonfan said Pieterson was the English spelling. I nitpicked on the 'i'. Of course I know how to spell Pietersen, and obviously I know he is South African.
I was telling the guy on whom Everton was yelling at actually...

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
greg destroyed us

vengsarkar if you are listening just one man has to be thrown out of the indian team it's the DICTATOR GREG CHAPPELL

rahul dravid sucks in captaincy, Ganguly rocks. Kiran more was an asshole. vengsarkar must think and get him back

sehwag sucks. ganugly even at worst is better than him, we can get sourav scoring the same.

we are already out of CT but ganguly can win us WC@007. Aussises are unbeatable.

hope that gilchrist thrashes all poor captain draivd's gamplans GO AUSSIES :mad

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
we will be thrashed by aussies wait and watch
they have gilchrist,ponting,martyn,clarke,symonds,hussey,katick,mcgrath,lee,bracken,hogg,johnson, all are rockstarts

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
johnson took 4 in KL, i didnt say watson,

Hogg rocks he is the best chinaman i know in the world

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I hate to say it mate, but there are hardly any chinaman bowlers in the world at an International Level.

But I do like Hogg though. He bowls like me :)

Sureshot

Executive member
MUFC1987 said:
Credit to Saj, even though he was out really. I told you all it was a 300 pitch. We just need to get rid of Yardy and Read and we'd have a decent side. Although Blackwell should be in ahead of Dalrymple with a decent keeper/batsman.

Blackwell did alright but his batting has not been at JDs standard, not to mention Blackies fielding :help

MUFC - On Yardy, I agree he's been poor, but who was at the end with Saj when we beat Pakistan when we were collapsing?

Yardys been out of form, he had a bad day today, but he's by no far the worst England player in an ODI shirt. Clarke, McGrath, etc. He's a good player, he's not been bowling 'spin' for long, he is out of form though. I know he's better he's a late improver though, only really coming into the game (ie starting regularly for Sussex at the age of 23).

Read though, I can't defend he's doing nowt, although Bravos slower ball is very good he's not done much since his comeback test. But they'd only bring back Geraint "Let's sweep the spinners" Jones. Could we go with Davies early? I'd say keep Read for a little longer (Jones played out of form for over a year, so why not?).

As for todays performance, well done England, although I find it ironic that we won but didn't really play all that well as a team, a couple of partnerships when batting but nothing huge although a good start. Lewis and JD bowled well, others average with Jimmy being poor, Saj couple of wickets good ball to dismiss Lara but a little expensive. Lewis impressed me though, people said he couldn't do it outside of England (albeit we can hardly judge him on one game) but he did really well today, nothing beats accuracy.

All I'll say is keep faith in Yardy especially in One Day Cricket because he is so important to our success and invariably contributes when Sussex win.

angryangy said:
In this lineup, Jones would comfortably come in no later than six. Why have they picked such a team? We all know there are still batsmen of skill lurking about England. Are all rounders worth having almost no middle order?

Remember though Freddie has been a batsman for most of the tournament. I'd expect Tres to come in for Yardy in our next ODI (VB series?).

As for the keeper, I'd go for Prior, but it'll be Jones, don't know why he clearly can't do it at international level, like Read.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I appreciate the Blackwell thing, but his bowling was superb in the last year when he played for England, his economy was superb, especially when you consider some of the players who were getting hammered out in Pakistan and India this Winter.

I like Dalrymple, but like Geraint Jones, he's always going to struggle down the order if he needs 6+ runs an over from the off. Which is why I prefer to see Flintoff below Collingwood for example. I don't think Yardy will be in the side when Flintoff returns to full pace. Sure he can bowl a few decent overs, but with Flintoff, we don't really need it and I'd rather have another batsman there. I just hope that when Tres returns, Bell is installed at Number 3, as he seems to be the man for a crisis, which we've lacked in recent times. Saj impressed me today though, I think it was the BBC website that said 'Underneath all the wides and poor deliveries, there's a very good bowler there.'

Users who are viewing this thread