Pakistan in India

I would drop Karthik and bring in Yuvraj Singh and make him open in the next test match.
That doesnt make sense sorry.You cant play yuvi as an opener.If he fails then everyone will jump on him.Even karthik was not the genuine opener.But he has played really well at that position.
Dravid has opened the innings for india.But then it will be risky.Yuvraj should play in the middle order only.

Crap.... my long post just got lost because of a refresh. :(

I agree with manee for the most part. I think we will probably end up sticking with the same bowling line-up because Zaheer has shown he is a great test match bowler and we need to get Munaf back to his best quickly. Bhajji wasn't that impressive but we really do not have another pace bowler going around and I think we need spinners to put the pressure on. Piyush is still injured and I wouldn't go with two leg-spinners who don't turn it that much. Murali Karthik is probably an option but I don't know if I would be comfortable selecting him over Bhajji.

Batting wise, I'd give DK at least one more game to prove himself. He definitely helps his selection in the field--better than Chopra (though Chopra is a brilliant close-in fielder) and Sehwag. I still hope they choose The Monk for the Australian tour, even if he goes as a back-up opener.

That doesnt make sense sorry.You cant play yuvi as an opener.If he fails then everyone will jump on him.Even karthik was not the genuine opener.But he has played really well at that position.
Dravid has opened the innings for india.But then it will be risky.Yuvraj should play in the middle order only.
Yeah, I agree. We've tried Yuvi opening before but it really doesn't make sense because he's a strokemaker and he is not as attacking as Sehwag. If we want an aggressive opener we need Sehwag back, otherwise we're just going to have to deal with Karthik. I'm firmly against a Chopra+Jaffer partnership because I think that would be.... boring.

Last edited:
Crap.... my long post just got lost because of a refresh. :(

I agree with manee for the most part. I think we will probably end up sticking with the same bowling line-up because Zaheer has shown he is a great test match bowler and we need to get Munaf back to his best quickly. Bhajji wasn't that impressive but we really do not have another pace bowler going around and I think we need spinners to put the pressure on. Piyush is still injured and I wouldn't go with two leg-spinners who don't turn it that much. Murali Karthik is probably an option but I don't know if I would be comfortable selecting him over Bhajji.

Batting wise, I'd give DK at least one more game to prove himself. He definitely helps his selection in the field--better than Chopra (though Chopra is a brilliant close-in fielder) and Sehwag. I still hope they choose The Monk for the Australian tour, even if he goes as a back-up opener.

Yeah, I agree. We've tried Yuvi opening before but it really doesn't make sense because he's a strokemaker and he is not as attacking as Sehwag. If we want an aggressive opener we need Sehwag back, otherwise we're just going to have to deal with Karthik. I'm firmly against a Chopra+Jaffer partnership because I think that would be.... boring.

I would rather see Yuvraj in the middle order and have either Dravid or Ganguly opening since they have a bit of experience in that position.

Yuvraj is a must IMO.

I didn't watch the match but am happy of the result.
I haven't gone through the whole thread but would someone take some time to tell me how Kumble captained and Munaf's bowling.
From what I've heard, Munaf seems to be bowling quick and in the right areas, and Kumble has been doing the all-round role and captaining well. Just need some clarification on that before I make any judgements.

If both did do well, then i'd go with the following XI-

Jaffer
KKD
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
VVS
Dhoni
Irfan
Kumble
Zaheer
Munaf

Again, from what I've heard Harbajan didn't look threatening. Irfan has done well enough to earn a spot in the test XI more; More as an allrounder though now.
Ganguly too has done well with the ball - So we'll have to see on match day what the line ups going to be.
I myself don't agree 100% with it.

Why? Over whom should he be picked?

From what I've gathered from his post it seems as though he's dropping Karthik for Yuvraj.
This is what you get with one match failures. :rolleyes:
Give the youngster a break.

Last edited:
I haven't gone through the whole thread but would someone take some time to tell me how Kumble captained and Munaf's bowling.

Kumble's captaincy was good. Innovative with good field changes, the now infamous new ball take and a few mistakes in field placing but to be expected as first match captaining.

Munaf bowled at 125kph at the start of a spell or over but operated for 90% of the time from 130-140kph, he bowled about half a dozen balls in the match at over 140kph. His line was good but he struggled by bowling too short on the flat deck.

Sohum - Piyush isn't injured anymore, is he? He's been playing in the Ranji Trophy for Uttar Pradesh, and doing well, might I add.

Munaf was excellent in the first innings, but in the second innings he just went a bit leg-side and couldn't find any rythm.

I would rather see Yuvraj in the middle order and have either Dravid or Ganguly opening since they have a bit of experience in that position.

Yuvraj is a must IMO.
Dravid maybe, Ganguly--no way. Ganguly is only good against the new white ball, not against the new red ball. That is why he has been playing as a middle-order batsman for most of his first class career. Also, his strength is spin and he probably won't last till the spinners come on, if he is opening.

Sohum - Piyush isn't injured anymore, is he? He's been playing in the Ranji Trophy for Uttar Pradesh, and doing well, might I add.

Munaf was excellent in the first innings, but in the second innings he just went a bit leg-side and couldn't find any rythm.
Ah, that's great to hear. Come to think of it, Piyush may actually be more useful than Harbhajan. Although I'm still uncomfortable about playing two leg-spinners at the same time.

Last edited:
Dravid maybe, Ganguly--no way. Ganguly is only good against the new white ball, not against the new red ball. That is why he has been playing as a middle-order batsman for most of his first class career. Also, his strength is spin and he probably won't last till the spinners come on, if he is opening.

Well they should choose Dravid then because Yuvraj really needs to play.

Its is difficult becuase Karthik has done well in that opening position and Jaffer is a really good opener from what he did in England.

I don't think we should send Dravid opening, if we lose our openers on a bowling pitch, Dravid is a must coming in so we don't expose the middle order to a collapse (that we so often have). If we put Dravid opening, if the opener goes out, that will happen.

Well they should choose Dravid then because Yuvraj really needs to play.

Its is difficult becuase Karthik has done well in that opening position and Jaffer is a really good opener from what he did in England.
Yuvraj will get his chance. If he is really as good as he looks, he won't have transformed into a crappier player when he does end up getting his chance. I feel that over the next 2-3 months we will see Ganguly/Laxman bite the bullet and that's when Yuvi will come in to the test side. There are a ton of good players and they just have to wait, to be honest. Look how long it took Hussey and Clarke to get into the Aussie test XI.

Ah, that's great to hear. Come to think of it, Piyush may actually be more useful than Harbhajan. Although I'm still uncomfortable about playing two leg-spinners at the same time.

I still think that Chawla needs at least this season in the Ranji Trophy, learning how to outwit the best domestic players of spin. I am really not a fan of this rushing of young players into the Test team. I'd far rather let finished articles, so to speak, like Harbhajan play in high intensity tours of Pakistan and Australia. Sometimes it is not about who is slightly better, it is about who can be relied on in high pressure and who has experience at playing in all different situations.

On a different note, I don't think two leg spinners is too much of a problem (Macgill and Warne formed some very dangerous partnerships), Kumble is more of a top spinner/in swinger than leg spinner anyway.

Yuvraj really needs to play.

Why?

Last edited:
I don't think we should send Dravid opening, if we lose our openers on a bowling pitch, Dravid is a must coming in so we don't expose the middle order to a collapse (that we so often have). If we put Dravid opening, if the opener goes out, that will happen.
Neither, I much prefer Dravid coming in one-down. I think we should stick with Jaffer/Karthik. Maybe someone will get "injured" and make way for Yuvi but I won't count on it. Kumble especially seems to find Ganguly's bowling quite handy so he won't be leaving him out. Unless the extra strain on Ganguly due to bowling causes him to get "injured". :p

I still think that Chawla needs at least this season in the Ranji Trophy, learning how to outwit the best domestic players of spin. I am really not a fan of this rushing of young players into the Test team. I'd far rather let finished articles, so to speak, like Harbhajan play in high intensity tours of Pakistan and Australia. Sometimes it is not about who is slightly better, it is about who can be relied on in high pressure and who has experience at playing in all different situations.

On a different note, I don't think two leg spinners is too much of a problem (Macgill and Warne formed some very dangerous partnerships), Kumble is more of a top spinner/in swinger than leg spinner anyway.
Yeah... I guess. Maybe I'm just bored of watching the same team play over and over again. :p I mean, in the last 2 years the only change we've had in our test team is our openers and our pace bowlers--and that too only for injury. I would give Chawla another season in Ranji as well, I suppose, but I wouldn't leave him out of it for too long. Definitely have to keep him around in the ODI frame of things, though, and get Tiwary, Sharma and Badri into that outfit quickly as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread