Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

When you think Chawla's not even 20, he's going to be a quality bowler in a few years time. Australia need Clark to do well and Lee to get some help from the Indian batsman if they plan on bowling India out for under 400 anytime.

Only one I can see making a difference with the ball here is Lee - with pure pace.

Clark can't get the length's right on the Indian pitches.
Bollinger and Siddle are still new to the scene.

Krezja is crap.
White will probably get tonked.

Compared to;
Ishant and Zaheer - both in the form of their lives.
Harbhajan - bowling better and better by the day, works wonders at home, and is against his favorite opposition.
Kumble - Out of form but he's a legend, and I think he can bounce back.

Yay!

I have a feeling Johnson will do well with the express pace he has and reverse swing later in the innings

Who'd have ever thought that we were going to have a better bowling line-up than the Aussies, and probably a better batting line-up too (disregarding form).

Leggie added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I have a feeling Johnson will do well with the express pace he has and reverse swing later in the innings

Yeah, But pitches do tend to slow down dramatically in India, So if he's bowling in the 2nd and 4th innings, Its not so beneficial.

Australia need their bowlers to do well, who'd have thought?

No, they need their two decent bowlers to do well, because the rest are poor. How can you not see that I implied that? Next time I'll spell it out for you. :rolleyes:

haha looking at the recent posts...seems like aussie fans are scared lol...guys chill out its typical india...lil boys have formed now the big boys will play like school boys..think if pakistan can perform gud here y can't aussie with likes of punter n hyden with bowling line up of lee clarke n mitchel...dont worry india wont have clue when it comes to the real deal.

haha looking at the recent posts...seems like aussie fans are scared lol...guys chill out its typical india...lil boys have formed now the big boys will play like school boys..think if pakistan can perform gud here y can't aussie with likes of punter n hyden with bowling line up of lee clarke n mitchel...dont worry india wont have clue when it comes to the real deal.

When was the last time Pakistan performed well in India? Remember? My memory dates me back to 1999 and that too only in that Chennai test. That series too they didnt win as the series was drawn. If India plays like schoolboys, Pakistan play like a bunch of kids still in their nappies.;)

Only one I can see making a difference with the ball here is Lee - with pure pace.

Johnson did actually bowl faster than Lee in this tour match. He got over 150km/h and was consistently above 140. But hes no where near as accurate as Lee and on these pitches hes going to have to hope he better balls get wickets.

Ponting is saying either White or Krejza will debut... Why not just play White over Watson and play that 4th paceman. Wasting a spot on one of those two means we could be down to 2 bowlers as expected if Johnson falls apart.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372517.html

Ponting is saying either White or Krejza will debut... Why not just play White over Watson and play that 4th paceman. Wasting a spot on one of those two means we could be down to 2 bowlers as expected if Johnson falls apart.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372517.html

Because Watson is a more solid batsman than White AND he is more threatening with the ball IMO. White barely gets to bowl when he plays ODIs for Australia even though he is picked as an 'all-rounder' and it's mainly because he is pretty innocuous, Ponting doesn't trust him at all. OTOH while Watson doesn't move the ball much at all, he'll at least bowl good line and length and will try to rough up the batsmen with his bouncer - which usually surprises the batsman because he can crank up to 140KPH, faster than he looks.

Personally I think they should play them both White and Watson. If your spinner is going to suck, at least he should be able to bat a bit eg. Ashley Giles haha. And bowl Simon Katich more please :upray The man is too modest with his bowling, Stuey MacGill said once he was the 2nd best spinner in NSW. He has had success when given the ball. Hopefully Ponting didn't bowl him in the last match to 'hide' him from the Indians. Seriously, I hope he gets a few overs a day at least.

So with White and Watson my team would be:
1. Katich,
2. Hayden,
3. Ponting,
4. Clarke,
5. Hussey,
6. Watson,
7. White,
8. Haddin,
9. Lee,
10. Johnson,
11. Clark.

Long batting lineup so we can play for the draw if needed (whoops - Aussies don't talk like that - I mean score lots of runs...).

There are heaps of bowling options - even if they aren't good ones. 3 good pacers plus Watson to bowl 8-10 overs a day. 3 pronged spin attack of Katich, Clarke and White to be rotated frequently and used according to conditions/batsmen being bowled to. Heck even Ponting used to bowl some OK spinners back in the day - if he still bowls in the nets he might be worth an over or 2.

Just my two cents...

Strangely enough, I think this is the perfect preparation by the Aussies. I'm even wondering if Ponting is pulling a bluff by saying he's going to play a spinner.

The two tour matches will definitely have the Indians a little mentally relaxed. As much as they claim to the media that they will not be taking the tour matches seriously, mentally they will have taken a deep breath since the Aussies performed far below expectations.

On the other side of the river, the Australians will be even more determined. The Australian team doesn't like to be taken lightly--they've made the "overdog" tag their own. This will probably ignite a fire that will show many of their players put in great performances.

In short, I hope I am effectively jinxing the Aussies. :)

I am worried too because of the practice that they have got so far. Playing a test match means putting in the best ever performance, and the Aussies were just 60% or so in these practice games. I wish India dont get trapped into 'overconfidence' (though I believe if India get hammered one single day, all their overconfidence will disappear in thin air and they'll be back fighting it out).

For India, its all going to be about the seniors. Perform, and they get themselves a lifeline. Fail, and definitely they will be put under the sword. DRAVID HAS TO SCORE! Sachin will escape, but Dravid and Ganguly wont have the luxury.

Because Watson is a more solid batsman than White AND he is more threatening with the ball IMO. White barely gets to bowl when he plays ODIs for Australia even though he is picked as an 'all-rounder' and it's mainly because he is pretty innocuous, Ponting doesn't trust him at all. OTOH while Watson doesn't move the ball much at all, he'll at least bowl good line and length and will try to rough up the batsmen with his bouncer - which usually surprises the batsman because he can crank up to 140KPH, faster than he looks.

Fair enough when comparing the two like that. But lets assume we go in with 4 pacemen (Lee, Clark, Johnson, Bollinger) then do we really need a 5th paceman? How many overs would we get in a day by doing that? And that is where White comes into the equation, his spinners would be more handy than yet another pace option.

Playing White/Watson as the 4th bowler ain't going to cut it. If we do that we are telling India we don't think we can win so we are trying to draw and that more times than not leads to a loss.
I'll put it in another way, would White or Watson be picked in our side as a bowler alone? Clearly not because we have better bowlers in Siddle, Bollinger and Noffke (not here) so no way we should go into a match with a 3 man bowling attack.

Users who are viewing this thread