Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Dhoni needs to bring Ishant on. Haddin looked in all sorts of trouble against him.

Is it just me, or do other people feel that Haddin's out of his depth at Test level? I've watched him bat a good few times, and he's never looked comfortable, he may have a good domestic record, but that doesn't necessarily transfer to International cricket. He's a good keeper, but his batting leaves little to be desired. What do the Aussies feel?

I do feel that Australia have too many medicore players in the team atm, guys like White, Johnson, Watson, Haddin and Siddle. The team looked leagues stronger with Warne, McGrath, Symonds, Gilchrist and Clark in the team. Warne was the main reason that the 2005 Ashes was so close, without his amazing wicket tally they'd have really struggled, and I'd be more than happy to see this team arrive in England, I'd say that both India and South Africa look stronger atm, and England under Pietersen also look stronger in all departments, especially with Freddie back on form. What you reckon?
These are some interesting points, no doubt the number of replies to this post already show this.

I think there have been several times when Haddin looked quite comfortable. He's passed 30 six times now without going on and for example, I thought he was headed for a big score when Australia declared in the last match. I've brought it up before that I think one of his problems is that he's a proper middle order batsman, not a no. 7 and so sometimes he's going to be uncertain. If he does deliver his full ability, I think they're going to have to wait at least a couple of matches for it, because it has to be adapted to a different role. Someone like Ronchi on the other hand does usually bat around that spot and has both the dynamism and the experience with batting out the end of an innings. I could well imagine Ronchi being a better fit, even though he is a far less consistent batsman. Let's just wait and see before looking at that option.

The greatest problem for Australia right now is having to carry players they can't drop, rather than players like Siddle, Johnson or Watson. The bowlers were average, but from the first hour of play on day one, the expectation was that many runs would be scored and 400 didn't even sound menacing at lunch on day 4. It was a batsman's game to at least match the opposition. Ponting made a hundred last match, Hayden's last hundred was only two matches ago and the same for Katich. Time of course is relative and perhaps Hayden has taken the wrong route into the side after a long injury lay off, but it's hard to call a player's form after only a couple of innings, especially if they have 5000 runs.

Although the much maligned rotation policy could maybe have turned over more prospects, recent misfortunes have certainly exacerbated the end of a generation. Injuries to top pacemen such as Tait and Hilfenhaus were at first minor casualties, but the list went on; in fact domestic cricket lost a full team's worth of veterans by the end of summer. Hogg's retirement was a surprise and then MacGill's meant the pressure was on to find a spinner, but opportunities to play one such as the tour of Pakistan, Tests against Bangladesh and Champions Trophy all caved; meanwhile the only other spin bowlers to be trialled in the West Indies or Top End were Beau Casson and Cameron White, neither of which made the initial selection for the Indian tour. Tasmanian Xavier Doherty was also a feature of the recent A series with White, but also no where near selection.

McGain seemed a safe choice, he too has succumbed to injury and what initially seemed an esoteric selection in Krejza was turned into a blatant mistake and a tragedy. Jaques too leaves with injury and in his place remains a question, who will come into the team?

In hindsight, it might not have been the best time to tell Symonds he needs to shape up, but if you can't pick your injuries, is it not Symonds' own indiscretions that led to that circumstance? CA have taken the view that Symond's time out of international cricket is a period of mental rehabilitation and considering such issues of players in recent times, such as Trescothick's stress related disorder, it should probably be looked upon with the same context of a physical problem.

From here, you have to question what will not persist to the series' completion and what will simply not be tolerated beyond. After the 2005 Ashes, a number of players were axed for far less questionable play. I suppose simply within this match, they've been beaten worse and collapsed harder (assuming a freak occurance does not take place tomorrow), even if they might have also played better. What matters is the next move.

Dhoni needs to bring Ishant on. Haddin looked in all sorts of trouble against him.

Most batters look in trouble against him.

Mishra on, forgot all about his googly to get Clarke in the first inns. Cmon Haddin keep the strike, protect the bunny in the last over.

Well at least its not like the Ashes match in Sydney where we started the day with Lee and another tailender. Haddin and Clarke will need to get themselves in tomorrow, after that our hopes for saving the match start getting better.

This is Haddin's chance to prove that he can survive in test cricket. He doesn't have to save the game but he needs to show fight.

Thank god its the end of days play. Good on Haydos and Katich for having a crack at them early but geez we shouldve settled down after couple of wickets. We lost what 5 wickets for 10 runs , thats just not acceptable. Not much point talking about it though. Well done to India, They have completely outplayed us in all departments of the game. Ishant and Harbajan make our bowlers look like park cricketers at times.

Nice to see Pup and Haddin get some runs. Who knows what can happen if they can get a big partnership going. Anychance for rain ? or maybe a storm tomorrow ? lol

India will go 1-0 and I guess they deserve it. Interesting to how Aussies will fight back from here.

Out of interest what changes would you (Aussie fans) make if you were the selector.

I think Pakistan drew a test match after being in pretty much a similar position not so long ago. Typical Harbhajan, lethal at home, and completely useless overseas.

If India dont win from here, well then I have nothing left to say.

The game also reminds of the Ashes of 2005, which was the last time I saw Australia completely outplayed in all departments by the opposition.

hi

For the next match

Out - White
In - Symonds

If Symonds is not ready yet , just play 4 seamers

but why would you get white dropped?he bowled a lot better.he has good turn and variety and got wickets of some key indian batsmen like sachin,sourav.atc...

am late here but DAMN !! the indians have outplayed the aussies.

call me a pessimist but i still believe the aussies can play for draw....
a win is out of the equation, just not possible.
if clarke and haddin hold on till lunch, then the indians will be
under a lot of pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread