Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Greg Chappell is travelling with the Australia squad as an assistant coach and he will pass on plenty of advice to the players and support staff about cricket and life in India.

nikhil_99 added 6 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Shaun Tait won't be the man Ricky Ponting will look for back-up. He feels that his style of bowling suits One-day cricket more.

"I bowl those express deliveries and the zooming yorkers which are much more effective in One-day cricket. I don't think I'm in the Test bracket now"

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Im_not_yet_quite_Test_class_Tait/articleshow/3515247.cms

I think like when he was smashed in India's tour to Aus also in Ashes 07,he took a long break and could not find rhythm,he took a break,that's affecting him.

Nah, Rohit. Irfan shouldn't be anywhere near the Indian team. Before anyone says the inevitable I will just say, HE IS NOT AN ALL ROUNDER! He can't bowl, he can't bat and I'm surprised he hasn't totally forgotten how to field. He had all the talent to become a great bowler but we've distracted him too much by telling him he can become the next Kapil Dev. Unless we change that, he's still going to be a crappy trundler scoring 20 runs.

Irfan? NO WAY! He is not fit for test cricket ATM. He needs to prove that he can be the same bowler or somewhere close to it before we can think of making him a permanent fixture in the test side. Till then, he will fill up the gap when someone gets injured.

Nah, Rohit. Irfan shouldn't be anywhere near the Indian team. Before anyone says the inevitable I will just say, HE IS NOT AN ALL ROUNDER! He can't bowl, he can't bat and I'm surprised he hasn't totally forgotten how to field. He had all the talent to become a great bowler but we've distracted him too much by telling him he can become the next Kapil Dev. Unless we change that, he's still going to be a crappy trundler scoring 20 runs.

Obviously he shouldn't be in the team. I'm just saying last time I saw him at Nagpur against the Aussies he was a beast :p.

But that was a different Irfan Pathan.

Yeah, a much, much different Pathan. It's unfortunate we've sent him down the wrong path so early because it might ruin his entire career. However, that said, he does have time on his side to play a season of domestic cricket, gain his old action, banana swing and speed back. He needs to concentrate on playing as a bowler because that's where his strength lies. We all know he has it in him to be a great fast bowler, we just don't know how far back we've pushed that ability over the last few years.

Irfan needs to stop talking to people and concentrate on his cricket. Maybe going back to Baroda and playing in the halls of his mosque would be a good start. He's not been able to cope with all the media exposure, either. Maybe he should grow his hair out--look at Sehwag's success after changing his hair style!

I think Australia will win this 2-1--wins in Bangalore and Mohali, draw in Delhi and Indian win in Nagpur.

We need to get Irfan back for the Nagpur game. His favorite track by far, I remember he got a bagful of wickets and some solid runs last time against the Aussies I think it was.

I also remember when he came in at three and slog-swept Warne for six. Good times.

The slog-sweep six you are referring to was at Chennai.
That test had all the makings of a classic had it not been for the rain !

Irfan and Kartick should enjoy time dancing in reality show. Thats where they belong right now. :p

All this Irfan Khan Pathan talk is an utter waste of time IMO. As Shravi said, Until he get his golden action and banana swing back, I don't think he can be considered in the Test Side. Our 4 bowlers will/should be:

8) Anil Kumble C - Although he's not been performing great recently, We need his experience.
9) Harbhajan Singh - Bit of a Spaz, But can turn the ball a long way on a spinning track.
10) Zaheer Khan - Our best Pace Bowler ATM
11) Ishant Sharma - Is probably better than all the other Pace bowlers ATM and he's made a good impression agains Australia ;)

I reckon you guys might go with 5 bowlers and play Pathan. But if not then I would go for the bowling lineup Leggie picked.

I also read the 3rd bowling spot is up for grabs during the tour matches but how true that is we will see.

Why shouldn't Greg Chappell be able to work with another team? Surely there are weaknesses that he would know about with certain players, but not much more than anyone else who has played with/against them in International cricket or in the IPL. Most teams study their opposition's players anyway, and Australia recently played India in Australia so would already know their strengths and weaknesses - as India would know Australia's. I think that any impact he is likely to have is more to do with how to cope with conditions, rather than magical secrets that aren't known after playing against someone for years. I agree with Nashings - if the BCCI is worried about former consultants/coaches working with other teams years afterwards, then include a standard anti-competition clause in their contract.

I reckon you guys might go with 5 bowlers and play Pathan. But if not then I would go for the bowling lineup Leggie picked.

I also read the 3rd bowling spot is up for grabs during the tour matches but how true that is we will see.

I think we will play RP Singh or Munaf instead of Pathan. Right now, they're better than him.

Users who are viewing this thread