Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Hit the nail on the head there Sai, We've gone one step back instad of one step forward, which seemed to be the case because of all hype on Ganguly getting dropped...

WTH??? Then why was all this drama played out in the Indian media for the past few weeks about Ganguly? If the previous selection committee drops ganguly inspite of him being fit, shouldnt the new set of selectors know why he was dropped, and shouldnt they follow that decision? All they did was give ganguly a tense few days (or weeks!) and now he's back. THE BIG INDIAN DRAMA!!!

Badrinath is selected, but what chance does he have of making it to the playing XI for the first two tests? NONE!! Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman and Dhoni pick themselves. If India play a 7th batsman, it will be between Ganguly and Badrinath. And Kumble obviously wont drop Ganguly now that he is picked (Kumble has so eloquently talked about how the seniors must not be questioned irrrespective of hundreds of failures, damn it!!!). And if ganguly by any chance clicks in the first two tests, he will be retained and Badrinath is as usual be the drinks man. Also, Mishra is in but will he play? I dont see a wicket where we will need three spinners (maybe Nagpur but not so sure!)

I expected a positive change, but we're again back to where we were (in fact, I would say we have put a step backward). We are now at the mercy of the senior players.

So I dont get it. Ganguly wasnt the only who perform badly last series. The whole middle order failed simple as that. About Badrinath he wont make it and I dont get why people are disrespecting the seniors. Its good for one day but for test I am not sure youngsters should be involved so early.

Jit added 10 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

I think it maybe be a plan from BCCI to make him retire but if ganguly does well in this series it wont happen for sure.

WTH??? Then why was all this drama played out in the Indian media for the past few weeks about Ganguly? If the previous selection committee drops ganguly inspite of him being fit, shouldnt the new set of selectors know why he was dropped, and shouldnt they follow that decision? All they did was give ganguly a tense few days (or weeks!) and now he's back. THE BIG INDIAN DRAMA!!!

Badrinath is selected, but what chance does he have of making it to the playing XI for the first two tests? NONE!! Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman and Dhoni pick themselves. If India play a 7th batsman, it will be between Ganguly and Badrinath. And Kumble obviously wont drop Ganguly now that he is picked (Kumble has so eloquently talked about how the seniors must not be questioned irrrespective of hundreds of failures, damn it!!!). And if ganguly by any chance clicks in the first two tests, he will be retained and Badrinath is as usual be the drinks man. Also, Mishra is in but will he play? I dont see a wicket where we will need three spinners (maybe Nagpur but not so sure!)

I expected a positive change, but we're again back to where we were (in fact, I would say we have put a step backward). We are now at the mercy of the senior players.

hmmm.....so...in that case...the whole middle order should be dropped !!
everyone was poor in the SL series....! why pick just ganguly ?? its amusing how everyone came to a conclusion based on just one series and esp when his colleagues havent scored any better !
you can say hes a bit of a liability in the field ! fyi, even our test captain
is almost at the same level as ganguly ! why dont they drop him then ?
he hasnt been performing as well.........

Last edited:
everyone was poor in the SL series....! why pick just ganguly ?? its amusing how everyone came to a conclusion based one just one series and esp when his colleagues havent scored any better !

Yes I dont get it why is it always him then what about the other middle order who failed badly. I do agree that he isnt the best atheltic out on the field but over the last year he has played great in test cricket expect for the sri lanka series. That fool Ninranjan Shah something like that is asking to tell the players when to retire and he has never held a bat in his hand. I hope they kick him out of BCCI.

Last edited:
Yes I dont get it why is it always him then what about the other middle order who failed badly. I do agree that he isnt the best atheltic out on the field but over the last year he has played great in test cricket expect for the sri lanka series.

exactly !! and as much as i am a huge fan of sachin, its sometimes irritating that the selectors turn
a blind eye to his bad performances ! is it a rule or something that as long as hes playing
he'll be selected regardless of his performance ?? tbh...i wont be surprised if he doesnt
surpass lara's record even in this series !

exactly !! and as much as i am a huge fan of sachin, its sometimes irritating that the selectors turn
a blind eye to his bad performances ! is it a rule or something that as long as hes playing
he'll be selected regardless of his performance ?? tbh...i wont be surprised if he doesnt
surpass lara's record even in this series !

Well thats the problem. They cant drop Sachin because everyone treats him like a god and if selectors do drop him then the whole country would throw rocks at BCCI simple as that.

Last edited:
Would like the Board President's XI to be one as strong as possible; ignoring any sort of signs of intention or alterior motives than to give Australia as tough of a test as possible.

Would go with:
1. Wasim Jaffer
2. Aakash Chopra
3. Virat Kohli
4. S Badrinath
5. Yuvraj Singh (capt)
6. Parthiv Patel (wk)
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Piyush Chawla
9. Pragyan Ojha
10. Pankaj Singh
11. Sreesanth/Manpreet Gony (pretty sure Sreesanth is not fit, so Gony will slot in)

manee added 4 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

I'm happy to see Badrinath and Amit Mishra included in the squad as it is a sign that the new selectors rate these two players, and rightly so, in my opinion. Badrinath's case has been well established and Amit Mishra is a good ol' fashion agressive leg spinner who can earn you wickets. Would like to see Mohnish Parmar pushed into the Test scene asap, but agree that Mishra's case is stronger as he has been performing for a longer period of time and like the cautiousness this new breed of selectors appears to have - never been a fan of rash picking and dropping, myself. Parmar's time will come, imo, and his 48 wickets at 15.75 speaks for itself. However, I remain weary that 'chucking' allegations could ruin his career very soon - hopefully the NCA's clearing of his action was a rightful one.

Speaking of cautious selection, I am happy to see Ganguly back in the Test scene. His performances was not worthy of a drop and age should not be an issue in Test cricket, especially as Ganguly provides an important bowling option in the high scoring contests of India - one who will be tight and may get wickets.

Just went to cricinfo and saw Sanjay Manjrekar surpised at Ganguly selection and i dont get it why is that. He said he has failed in 6innings thats all then what about the other players like Dravid, Laxman and Sachin. We just ignore the other middle order and people always pick on Ganguly because he failed in 1series. :mad:

He has certainly been made the scapegoat. Such an approach is understandable (not that I agree with it) to phase in the youth but it really should not be argued that his drop was fair or deserved.

Certainly not too worried about Watson not being fit as Katich should be in there anyway. Now for Johnson to take a fishing trip somewhere....

Certainly not too worried about Watson not being fit as Katich should be in there anyway. Now for Johnson to take a fishing trip somewhere....

lol why do you guys hate Johnson? Ya fish trip with symo would be nice for him lol/

everyone was poor in the SL series....! why pick just ganguly ?? its amusing how everyone came to a conclusion based on just one series and esp when his colleagues havent scored any better !

You got to see what Sachin/Dravid/Laxman offer than Ganguly! Sachin and Dravid have been far better and consistent players than Ganguly, and against a team like Australia, they are better expected to score. Same with Laxman who has a better record against Australia than Ganguly. Ganguly had a few good innings in Australia, but overall you can say it was an average series for him, where he got out regularly to a spinner like Brad Hogg. And when we have so many seniors like Sachin, Dravid, Kumble and Laxman, why do u need one more senior in Ganguly? Why not make it easy for Badrinath to make the playing XI?

Badrinath, after his selection today, has cleverly stressed that he enjoys fielding and hopes to display his fielding skills. A sarcastic hit on the senior's fielding prowess. Kumble is an ace legspinner who has an awesome record in India in test cricket. But I wanted even him to be dropped, but it wont happen. This Australian team is still very good, but its team that gives me the luxury of trying out a few players (if those players come good, they will be boosted tremendously by having performed against the world's best).

saisrini80 added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

lol why do you guys hate Johnson? Ya fish trip with symo would be nice for him lol/

What was this msg for? Just for the sake of posting something?:p

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Just went to cricinfo and saw Sanjay Manjrekar surpised at Ganguly selection and i dont get it why is that. He said he has failed in 6innings thats all then what about the other players like Dravid, Laxman and Sachin. We just ignore the other middle order and people always pick on Ganguly because he failed in 1series. :mad:

Sanjay just says what I have in my mind (I guess god created our brains at the same time!:D). When he was dropped inspite of being fit, the selectors should follow what the previous team did and should have left him to fight for his comeback in domestic cricket.

Well if we want to give India a competitive series then Johnson shouldn't be in the 11. Hes proved ineffective already during our first tour match and he didn't have a great series in the Caribbean either. But if hes picked I hope he proves me wrong but not being able to swing it back into the left handers takes one of the left arm bowlers most lethal ball.

This Syl only hates him :mad: we always argue in MSN :mad He is my Johny Boy ;) he is a great player

Users who are viewing this thread