Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Chawla is highly rated by Richie Benuad and a number of others so it's no surprised he did that. But there is the reason why we don't play 6 batters, leaves our tail way too long. Anyway most of the batters got starts but didn't carry on, they will need to improve on that if they want to be competitive.

Yeah Chawla looked really good the first time I saw him, incredible control for a teenage leggie. He spins it just enough, but he uses his angle on the crease well. His googly has done a lot of damage today, but scarcely through sheer deception. I guess over time the tailenders forget to look for the back of the hand.

angryangy added 26 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Well this last wicket partnership will be a good thing for the whole team. Noone likes being outplayed by no. 11, so the fighting spirits will be rekindled.

Chawla is bowling well,not sure why Yuvraj just took the new ball and pulled him off.

Clark again showing his batting skills, certainly one very long lower order no matter which bowler we go for. And Siddle must have some batting ability to be above Clark is a decent hitter of the ball. I reckon David Hussey would have been awesome in India matching what his brother is doing. Lastly so much for the myth that Hussey would struggle in India.

Great batting by Hussey and Clark to almost extinguish the follow on,I'm going to really be annoyed if they get out now!

I'm not really sure why Mike Hussey should struggle in India. He's not short on match practice, he's used to hot weather, doesn't have a concentration problem, loves slow pitches and plays expertly well against spin. If he's going to play badly, it's either due to freakish bad luck or something of his own doing.

In terms of the tail, those guys can all bat, but it's as simple as picking the variation out of the hand. Three of Chawla's wickets were the googly; though they will have been planning for doosras and spearing leg breaks, they can surely read Chawla's hand if they try.

Sometimes he just is unreadable,I can understand why Chawla is highly rated by Benaud.

Australia really would not mind this at all.
The workout they have got in this warm-up game is far better than going into the Test match having played a 2 day warm-up game against a weak second XI state side.

Iam actually worried that they now have more match practice than the Indian side who have only played one competitive game since the Sri Lanka series.

Neither side has an advantage going into the series.As far as the matter of the pitches goes,the traditional Indian spinning tracks have almost become extinct over the past few years.The wickets now do not aid spin all that much due to their slow nature.The bite that we had in the tracks in the 2001 series have now disappeared and so have our spinners.Kumble and Harbhajan are not the threat that they were 4 years ago.
Add to that the fact that none of the games are being played at our traditional fortresses like Chennai,Mumbai and Kolkata, spin may not play that big a role after all.
India have actually performed better in test cricket under seamer-helpful conditions since 2000.I would be tempted to go for seam-friendly conditions considering the fact that we have a good pace attack ourselves.What the helpful conditions do is that it reduces the workload on our batsmen and even scores of 50-80 become valuable in these games.

Now turning our attention to the `Fab Four`, I feel sorry with the way they are being treated these days.We must at least respect their contribution to the team in the past couple of decades.
Without them India would not have had such a proud record against Australia in the past decade in the first place.They would all be looking at this series as the last big challenge of their career as none of them will be around during the next India-Australia series.
In fact India would have finished playing the top teams home and away at the end of the India-England series in December.
We have finished playing SA home and away and by the end of this year we would have finished playing England and Australia home and away as well.
So I think none of them woill be around when India will be touring SA,England or Australia around 2010.

Iam hoping for one last hurrah from them.If Dravid can get his act together and Sehwag can continue his form in the last season,our batting can still pose a threat under home conditions.

Last edited:
Wow, great innings by Hussey; once again saving us, and this innings will also boost Clark's confidence; showing that he CAN bat. Probably set to make his second first-class 50, and perhaps passing his best score of 62. Perhaps a move up the order is in...order?

Clark should have been ahead of Siddle, not sure why he was at 11. He's shown some decent aggressive hitting in test cricket, not quite as good as Lee or Johnson though.

aus5892 added 14 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

On Fox Sports News someone said that they had forgot Cullen. I mean he did play in a Test back in 2006 with Warne and MacGill.

Casson/McGain > Cullen > Krejza (despite the fact he used to play for NSW ;)

What do you think of Cullen Bailey, Dean? I think he plays for Tassie and is a leg-spinner. I heard some people have some wraps on him.
Bailey is alright, but like Cullen he's had a fadeout after a strong showing early on. He also plays for SA. Seems pretty capable but Cullen is the most talented of our spin prospects, I say we throw him into the deep end here and let him prove his worth.

Siddle is more of a blocker, you'd expect him to face more balls on average than Clark. Brett Lee can obviously play an innings, while Johnson I think could average 30 if he works on his defences.

Now, this is the big moment. Can the Australians put in a sharp bowling performance to give India something to think about? A ripping new ball spell might even keep them in the match.

Stuart Clarke ocne again bring the memories of Ashes 2006 with his slogging :D

Bailey is alright, but like Cullen he's had a fadeout after a strong showing early on. He also plays for SA. Seems pretty capable but Cullen is the most talented of our spin prospects, I say we throw him into the deep end here and let him prove his worth.

Bailey is to inconsistent though. He wouldn't make it at Test level. Cullen was in great form 2-3 years ago, didn't have the best season last year but its worth a shot giving him a go.

Hussey is unbeatable, no doubt he is the savior of the Australian team. Great support there from Clark, too bad he missed his 50. But a tailender facing 107 balls is just mindblowing. Now I expect some good bowling performance from Australian bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread