Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

Gony and Pathan's failure to take more than one wicket between them must give a clear signal to the selectors. Pathan has shown to be quite ineffective outside of helpful swinging conditions, since his comeback, as any inswing he does get now is often far too subtle to cause any damage and it is very hard to forge a career based on left arm outswing. Pathan should really fall out of Test contention inside the subcontinent; as he was poor even before he fell away and now seems worse - with the new found inability to extract that hoop inswing with the new ball. He was quite good in Australia and I expect similar things if India play in England or New Zealand; but even then, I'd hope he'd be behind three or four others.

Gony has justified his FC bowling average of 47.53 for his 13 wickets; with what was, by all accounts, a wayward performance. Gony showed in the IPL the ability to beat the bat, given the right line and length, but the latter really has to be fully established first. It is simply not right to ignore FC records as the BCCI have and will continue to do. Although it may work in the case of someone like Ashok Dinda; the higher the level, the less likely such a policy is to succeed and needless to say that Australians>New Zealand A. Moreover, Gony's record is laughable even in comparison to Ashok Dinda.

Piyush Chawla has done himself many favours with 5/89 against the Australians, including Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting. Chawla has always had this ability, but he needs to find some more consistency to become the superstar he can be. Ojha's 3/72 off 34 shows Ojha's promise as a classical slow left arm, defensive bowler; but I still doubt his ability to be a geniune agressive option.

COme on Guys you can't compare Sharma and Johnson.Johnson is far better and experienced

Really, your bias cannot be blinding you this severely. :eek:

sohummisra added 0 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

If there were no spinners, Australia would be well on top now.
Any Australian who tours India an expects there to be no spinners should be thrown out of the side and given a kick on the backside on the way. That's like expecting no pacemen in the opposition at Perth.

Well isn't this gonna put pressure on the old indian guard- fab 4 and kumble. Hell Bhajji should be worried. While Australia is still adapting to the conditions a first test blunder will have fingers pointing to this game. I don't know why but i feel if Australia pick Watson they're a batsman short or if they pick Jacques they're a bowler short... big mistake leaving Bracken out of the side.

A pace attack of Lee, Clarke, Bracken and Bollinger would be exciting. And for those who point to those 3 matches he played 5 years ago well that was before he became a top class ODI bowler. Plus his domestic record is quite good as well.

Chopra must be annoyed. A couple of good performances here would have him breathing fire down Gambhir's back, and re-unite the successful Sehwag-Chopra combination. I hope Badrinath scores a decent-sized knock here.

Hussey is unbeatable, no doubt he is the savior of the Australian team. Great support there from Clark, too bad he missed his 50. But a tailender facing 107 balls is just mindblowing. Now I expect some good bowling performance from Australian bowlers.

I guess you have never watched Jason Gillespie. :p

Gony and Pathan's failure to take more than one wicket between them must give a clear signal to the selectors. Pathan has shown to be quite ineffective outside of helpful swinging conditions, since his comeback, as any inswing he does get now is often far too subtle to cause any damage and it is very hard to forge a career based on left arm outswing. Pathan should really fall out of Test contention inside the subcontinent; as he was poor even before he fell away and now seems worse - with the new found inability to extract that hoop inswing with the new ball. He was quite good in Australia and I expect similar things if India play in England or New Zealand; but even then, I'd hope he'd be behind three or four others.

Gony has justified his FC bowling average of 47.53 for his 13 wickets; with what was, by all accounts, a wayward performance. Gony showed in the IPL the ability to beat the bat, given the right line and length, but the latter really has to be fully established first. It is simply not right to ignore FC records as the BCCI have and will continue to do. Although it may work in the case of someone like Ashok Dinda; the higher the level, the less likely such a policy is to succeed and needless to say that Australians>New Zealand A. Moreover, Gony's record is laughable even in comparison to Ashok Dinda.

Piyush Chawla has done himself many favours with 5/89 against the Australians, including Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting. Chawla has always had this ability, but he needs to find some more consistency to become the superstar he can be. Ojha's 3/72 off 34 shows Ojha's promise as a classical slow left arm, defensive bowler; but I still doubt his ability to be a geniune agressive option.

To be fair, not many pace bowlers have been very successful in India over the years. Gony should not have been selected at all to be honest, he is about 9th seamer in line for a position in the India Test Xi, including the current ones.

Chawla is going to be interesting later in his career. I wonder if he, much like Matthew Hoggard for England did, will just totally drop off the radar in a few years after having a top series. For the sake of Indian cricket, I hope not, because when Kumble leaves and then Harbhajan, they need someone to fill the boots, and in my opinion Chawla is the man.

Chopra must be annoyed. A couple of good performances here would have him breathing fire down Gambhir's back, and re-unite the successful Sehwag-Chopra combination. I hope Badrinath scores a decent-sized knock here.
Gambhir should be under no pressure at the moment; he has been very consistent since his comeback to Test cricket with scores of: 39, 43, 56, 74, 72, 26. He has worn the shine of the new ball without fail.

manee added 3 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

To be fair, not many pace bowlers have been very successful in India over the years. Gony should not have been selected at all to be honest, he is about 9th seamer in line for a position in the India Test Xi, including the current ones.

9th?! Why so high?

Chawla is going to be interesting later in his career. I wonder if he, much like Matthew Hoggard for England did, will just totally drop off the radar in a few years after having a top series. For the sake of Indian cricket, I hope not, because when Kumble leaves and then Harbhajan, they need someone to fill the boots, and in my opinion Chawla is the man.

What are you talking about? Hoggard dropped off because he was seen to be 'past it' or 'over the hill' and so had supposedly lost his nip. Chawla is a spinner, for one and is 19 years old.

manee added 7 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Brett Lee seems to be struggling to find some rhythm. He's just not putting the ball in the right areas at all. I don't doubt that he might be able to pick up a few wickets in this innings, but his pace is down and his accuracy is all over the place.

Last edited:

Really, your bias cannot be blinding you this severely. :eek:

sohummisra added 0 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Any Australian who tours India an expects there to be no spinners should be thrown out of the side and given a kick on the backside on the way. That's like expecting no pacemen in the opposition at Perth.
Well Perth isn't as fast as it used to be, but to expect no pacemen in any side isn't much of an analogy in any case. It will certainly never happen in test cricket.

Anyway, speak of the devil, on the same day I bring up Cameron White, he has been called up to the squad in McGain's place: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372380.html

Not quite the spin bowler we needed, but his all-round ability will be important. I can't imagine they're exploring him for any reason other than as a batting all-rounder, so I guess Krejza will play in the first test.

Tbh had no other choice unless they wanted to punt on someone like Cullen or Bailey. I certainly wouldn't be confidence in playing White as a bowler but if you took out the news reports on Krejza having a cannon ball I'd probably have more confidence in White as the bowler than Krejza :eek: never thought I would say that.
Ideally White in over Watson and play the 4 pacemen, then we have 3 spinners in the side with Katich and Clarke to help White.

Tons of faith in Siddle with him being 1st change, if we do go with 4 pacemen looks like he'll definitely be there which is a shame for Bollinger.

It's definitely ideal that way, I'd still be putting Bollinger in over Siddle, especially at Siddle's age in what could be a difficult tour, great experience but I have more confidence in Bollinger at the moment.

India’s biggest rivals arrived here, now it’ll be exciting to see who gets victory over whom. We wish India good luck.

We should have recalled Roy instead of this White :mad

Better start from Krejza, accuracy and a bit of patience (no no-balls!), now his ability to get some turn is coming into play.

Will Clarke top him with a wicket, though?

Users who are viewing this thread